EU/EFTA countries

* EU countries
Austria, Belgium, Bulgaria, Cyprus, The Czech Republic, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Hungary, Ireland, Italy, Latvia, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Malta, The Netherlands, Poland, Portugal, Romania, Slovakia, Slovenia, Spain, Sweden and the United Kingdom.

* EFTA countries
Iceland, Liechtenstein, Norway and Switzerland.



Obtaining a visa can be complicated. Fortunately TU Delft's Central International Office (CIO) provides assistance for any student who needs one. After you have been admitted to your programme, we will provide students who need a visa with detailed information on the procedure for obtaining one.

Information on immigration procedures and visas is also available from:

Do I need a visa?

Whether you need a visa to enter the Netherlands depends on your nationality and on the length and purpose of your stay.

You will not need a visa if you are a national of one of the countries of the European Union (EU)*, the European Free Trade Association (EFTA)* or Monaco, the USA, Australia, New Zealand, Canada, Japan or South Korea.

You also do not need a visa if you enter the Netherlands from another EU country of which you hold a valid residence permit

What do I need to know now?

Your visa will normally be issued within six weeks of TU Delft's CIO submitting an application for it with the Immigration and Naturalisation Service. Please be aware that the CIO can only arrange visas for students, not for their partners or other relatives.

Provide proof of financial means

Before the CIO can apply for your visa, we will need proof that your financial resources meet the criteria laid down by the Dutch Ministry of Justice. You should be able to cover the first year’s tuition fees and all your first year’s living expenses. For 2016, the estimated living expenses are approximately €12.000. You will need to provide:

  1. proof that you have paid the tuition fees for the first year plus the amount required to cover living expenses into TU Delft’s bank account (we will reimburse the amount for your living expenses into your Dutch bank account within a month after your arrival in Delft); or
  2. a statement from an organisation recognised by the TU Delft Central International Office showing you have been granted a scholarship that covers these expenses.

Additional visa requirements apply to nationals from China. Chinese nationals require a certificate from the Nuffic before TU Delft can apply for their visa (see website Nuffic).



© 2017 TU Delft