WILMER Shoulder Orthosis
Product Code: WCO
The WILMER shoulder orthosis is developed for patients with a paralyzed arm. The main functions are the neutralization of a shoulder subluxation and the suppression of oedema.
When due to an accident or a disease the arm and shoulder muscles are no longer activated by their nerves, the weight of the arm overloads the ligaments of the shoulder. The ligaments stretch and the upper arm gets too much play in the shoulder joint. The misplaced upper arm starts oppressing other nerves, which may result in severe pain. The WILMER shoulder orthosis is based on the strict application of biomechanical principles. The orthosis acts like a balance. The chosen point of suspension sets an unbalance to the arm. As a result the unbalanced weight of the forearm forces the upper arm upwards, back into the correct position. The subluxation is neutralized and stays neutralized. This is very unlike the often used the mitella or hemisling. As both are based upon the application of friction forces on the skin, small movements are enough to disturb the proper functioning. Skin does not tolerate friction loads. The patient will relief the painful skin by lifting the paralyzed arm. A return to the subluxed position of the shoulder will result.
The WILMER orthosis consists of a forearm brace, suspended at a specific point on the shoulder by means of a cap with straps. The cap transmits the suspension force evenly onto the shoulder. The chest strap keeps the cap in place. The forearm brace has two fitting areas transmitting forces between the orthosis and the arm. The hand support is self-adjusting for optimal wearing comfort. Several hand support shapes are available.
shoulder subluxation due to a brachial plexus lesion or due to hemiplegia.
- semi-passive orthosis providing a good usable forearm position
- the paralyzed arm is placed back in sight of the patient, therewith reducing the risk of possible injuries
- effective neutralization of shoulder subluxation
- horizontal positioning of forearm and dorsalflexed hand positioning suppresses oedema
- restores support function even of a totally paralyzed arm
- restores a more natural outlook, facilitates walking
- allows passive rotations of the upper arm
- positions arm within sight, reduces risk of injuries
- invisible to wear, underneath clothing
- reduced arm sway
Comfort of wearing
- low mass: less than 170 grams, with soft shoulder cap (80 grams)
- perforated body adaptive hand fitting prevents perspiration and skin problems
- easy donning and doffing
- fully automatic return to neutralizing action after disturbance