Our research is focused in the following fields, aiming for more efficient resource utilisation and cleaner production in metals extraction and recycling.
The research of the group is conducted mostly through a combination of metallurgical experiments and process modelling (thermodynamic, kinetic, CFD, DEM) for both process fundamentals and industrial applications.
List of recent and ongoing projects
- RESTMETAL: Hydrometallurgical recovery of strategic metals from End-of-Life electronic wastes
- EAERAN: European Rare Earth Magnet Recycling Network: (EU FP7 Marie Curie ITN project)
- REEcover: Recovery of Rare Earth Elements from magnetic waste in the WEEE recycling industry and tailings from the iron ore industry (EU FP7 framework project).
- Shifting the limits for nut coke usage in ironmaking blast furnaces (TATA-M2i)
- Fundamental study of in-flight melting & reduction of iron ore particles in HIsarna new ironmaking cyclone reactor
- Efficient and optimized sulphur removal in ironmaking and steelmaking (Tata Steel project)
- A new route for nuclear grade zirconium production
- MSP-REFRAM: Multi-Stakeholder Platform for a Secure Supply of Refractory Metals in Europe (EU H2020)
- SCRREEN: Solution for Critical Raw Materials – a European Expert Network (EU H2020)