Dr.ir. M. (Matthijs) Langelaar
Associate Professor, Structural Optimization and Mechanics
Matthijs Langelaar holds a PhD degree from Delft University of Technology and an MSc degree in Mechanical Engineering from University of Twente. After a year at DLR (German Aerospace Center, Robotics Institute), and he has also worked in the US (University of Colorado at Boulder, Prof. Kurt Maute), Germany (IMTEK, Univeristy of Freiburg, Prof. Jan Korvink) and Korea (Seoul National University, Prof. Yoon Young Kim).
The focus of his research is to advance computational design techniques for high-tech applications, with a specific emphasis on topology optimization. He and his research team are currently intensively involved in the worldwide research effort to combine topology optimization and additive manufacturing.
Recent and ongoing topology optimization research projects
- Project 'Microstructure and process based topology optimisation for direct metal deposition', part of Perspectief Programme 'Additive Manufacturing for Extra Large Metal Components (AiM2XL)' (placeholder, vacancy
- Project ‘Stable and Adjustable Mechanisms for Optical Instruments and Implants (SAMOII)’ , Stijn Koppen (placeholder, starts next month)
- Project ‘Design against DISTortion of metallic aerospace parts based on combination of numeRical modelling ACTivities and topology optimisatION (DISTORTION)’, Dirk Munro
- Project ‘Topology optimisation for precision components produced by additive manufacturing’, part of H2020 ‘Precision Additive Metal Manufacturing (PAM2)’ Project, Rajit Ranjan
- Project “Integrated 3D Motion System Synthesis for High-Performance Semiconductor Equipment: IMSYS-3D”, Arnoud Delissen
- Project ‘Topology optimization for additive manufacturing with process constraints’, part of Metal-AM PPS , Emiel van de Ven
- Project ‘Thermal Design & Optimization’, part of the Advanced Thermal Control Consortium (ATCC), Max van der Kolk
Recent past projects
- Robust design optimization for integrated phototic systems, Samee ur Rehman
- Robust design optimization for integrated phototic devices’, Marco Zocca
- Topology optimization of solar cell electrodes, Deepak Gupta
- Topology optimization of catalytic microreactors for energy conversion and storage, Floris van Kempen
- Evolutionary Fluid-Structural Optimization, Renato Picelli
- Integrated topology optimization of controlled components, Gijs van der Veen (postdoc)
- Topology optimization of aircraft movables, Alexander Verbart
My research specialization is computational engineering design, more specifically structural and multidisciplinary optimization, with a primary focus on high-tech and precision application with high performance demands. In particular, my research activities focus on advancing the state of the art in topology optimization.
Current topics include:
- Integration of topology optimization and (additive) manufacturing, in particular consideration of manufacturing restrictions
- Topology optimization involving nonlinear and functional materials, and large deformations, e.g. shape memory alloys, viscoelastic materials and compliant mechanisms
- Topology optimization of functional microstructures and -devices, e.g. micro-actuators and microreactors
- Topology optimization of multidisciplinary design problems, combining e.g. heat transfer, electrostatics, solid mechanics, fluid mechanics, control.
- Mechanics of Materials (Sterkteleer), WB1631-15
- Engineering Optmization: Concepts and Applications, ME46060
For a full list, see here
Selected publications Langelaar, M. (2018). Combined Optimization of Part Topology, Support Structure Layout and Build Orientation for Additive Manufacturing. Structural and Multidisciplinary Optimization, DOI 10.1007/s00158-017-1877-z. Koppen, S., Van der Kolk, M., Van Kempen, F.C.M., De Vreugd, J. and Langelaar, M. (2018). Topology Optimization of Multicomponent Optomechanical Systems for Improved Optical Performance. Structural and Multidisciplinary Optimization, accepted. Gupta, D.K., Barink, M., Langelaar, M. (2018). CPV solar cell modeling and metallization optimization. Solar Energy 159, 868-881. DOI 10.1016/j.solener.2017.11.015. Langelaar, M. (2017). Computational design hits record resolution. Nature 550, 50-51, DOI 10.1038/550050a. Groen, J.P. , Langelaar, M., Sigmund, O. and Ruess, M. (2017). Higher-order multi-resolution topology optimization using the finite cell method. International Journal for Numerical Methods in Engineering 110(10): 903-920 DOI 10.1002/nme.5432. Langelaar, M. (2016). Topology Optimization of 3D Self-Supporting Structures for Additive Manufacturing. Additive Manufacturing 12 (A), 60-70. DOI 10.1016/j.addma.2016.06.010