Prof.dr. G.C.A.M. (Guido) Janssen
Growth and properties of graphene
Graphene was first isolated by Geim and Novoselov in 2004. They removed a single layer of carbon atoms from graphite by use of scotch tape. In 2009 the first graphene was grown from methane on a Nickel catalyst by chemical vapor deposition (CVD). Since then other metals and metal films have been used as catalyst, most notably copper.
Nowadays the interesting questions are on growing graphene on substrates compatible with semiconductor manufacturing. We study graphene growth on copper films on sapphire wafers.
- Current research projects
- Single crystal copper films for the growth of graphene.
- Transferring graphene from sapphire to device wafers.
Past courses: Thin Film Materials, Materials Science, Statics.
Presently: book reading classes for PhD students on various topics.
- Some key publications
- Edge and surface plasmons in graphene nanoribbons, Z. Fei, M.D. Goldflam, J.-S. Wu, S. Dai, M. Wagner, A.S. McLeod, M.K. Liu, K.W. Post, S. Zhu, G.C.A.M. Janssen, M.M. Fogler, D.N. Basov, Nano Letters, 15, (2015) 8271.
- Graphene on hexagonal boron nitride as a tunable hyperbolic metamaterial, S.Dai, Q.Ma, M.K. Liu, T. Andersen, Z. Fei, M.D. Goldflam, M. Wagner, K. Watanabe, T. Taniguchi, M. Thiemens, F. Keilmann, G.C.A.M. Janssen, S-E. Zhu, P. Jarillo-Herrero, M.M. Fogler and D. Basov, Nature Nanotechnology, 10, (2015) 682.
- Ballistic transport in graphene grown by chemical vapour deposition, V.E. Calado, Shou-En Zhu, S. Goswami, K. Watanabe, T. Taniguchi, G.C.A.M. Janssen, and L.K.M. Vandersypen, Apl. Phys. Lett. 104, (2014) 023103.
- Graphene based piezoresistive pressure sensor, Shou-En Zhu, Murali Krishna Ghatkesar, Chao Zhang, and G.C.A.M. Janssen, Appl. Phys. Lett. 102, (2013) 161904.
- Celebrating the 100th anniversary of the Stoney equation for film stress: Developments from polycrystalline steel strips to single crystal silicon wafers, G.C.A.M. Janssen, M.M. Abdalla, F. van Keulen, B.R. Pujada, B. van Venrooy, Thin Solid Films, 517, (2009) 1858.
- Stress and strain in polycrystalline films, critical review, G.C.A.M. Janssen, Thin Solid Films, 515, (2007), 6654.