Marcel Hertogh is full professor Infrastructure Design and Management. He is chairman of DIMI: the Delft Research Initiative ‘Deltas, Infrastructures and Mobility’. Professor Hertogh studied civil engineering at TU Delft and economics at Erasmus University Rotterdam. He did his PhD at Erasmus University and ETH Zurich. He is also full professor at Erasmus University, chair Reslience Convergence and Design. He is strategic advisor of large infrastructure programmes and projects.
The focus of his research is on integrated design and management of major programmes. The current challenges in our complex environment, the integration of disciplines, and collaboration with partners (quadruple) are key to obtain support and create impact (triple bottom line). Current examples are city of the future, and integration of infrastructures in the urban environment. He researched over 25 mega international infrastructure projects. He initiated the European knowledge network Netlipse, and was programme director.
- Profesor Hertogh is responsible for, and contributes to courses on integrated design, and managment of major projects.
- He is responsible for the minor Integrated Infrastructure Design. He supervised over 120 students during their master thesis. In his courses he makes the link with both research (e.g. how to deal with current societal challenges, including teamwork), and practice (e.g. integrated designs for current challenges, with involvement of societal partners).
- He is a professional trainer.
Recent publications with PhD’s:
- Shi Q., M.J.C.M. Hertogh, M.G.C. Bosch-Rekveldt, J. Zhu, Z. Sheng (2020), Exploring the decision-making complexity in major infrastructure projects: A case study from China, Project Management Journal.
- Gijzel, D., M. Bosch-Rekveldt, D. Schraven, M.J.C.M. Hertogh, (2019), Integrating Sustainability into Major Infrastructure Projects: Four Perspectives on Sustainable Tunnel Development. Sustainability, Vol. 12(1), 6.
- Liu, Y., A. van Marrewijk, E.J. Houwing, M.J.C.M. Hertogh (2019), The co-creation of values-in-use at the front end of infrastructure development programs. International Journal of Project Management, 37(5), 684-695.
- Demirel, H.C., L. Volker, W. Leendertse, M.J.C.M. Hertogh (2019), Dealing with Contract Variations in PPPs: Social Mechanisms and Contract Management in Infrastructure Projects. Journal of Construction Engineering and Management. 145(11): 04019073
- Jalali Sohi, A., M.G.C. Bosch-Rekveldt, M.J.C.M. Hertogh (2019), Does flexibility in project management in early project phases contribute positively to end-project performance?, International Journal of Managing Projects in Business.
- Liu, H., C. Jiang, Y. Liu, M.J.C.M. Hertogh, X. Lyu (2018), Optimism bias evaluation and decision-making risk forecast on bridge project cost based on reference class forecasting: Evidence from China. Sustainability, 10(11), 3981.
- Koops, L.S.W., M.G.C. Bosch-Rekveldt, L. Coman, M.J.C.M. Hertogh, H.L.M. Bakker (2017), Identifying perspectives of public project managers on project success: Comparing viewpoints of managers from five countries in North-West Europe, International Journal of Project Management, 34(5), 874-889.
- Liu, Y., Van Nederveen, S., & Hertogh, M. (2017), Understanding effects of BIM on collaborative design and construction: An empirical study in China. International Journal of Project Management, 35(4), 686-698
- Hertogh, M.J.C.M. (2019), ‘City of the Future/ Stad van de Toekomst’, various contributions, BNA, TU Delft DIMI.
- Hertogh, M.J.C.M., K. de Haas, H. Bellinga, H. Blok, ‘Kennistraject Gaasperdammertunnel’, Dutch Centre for Underground Construction (COB): (2016) part I 2014-2016, and (2019) part II 2016-2018.
- Hertogh, M.J.C.M., A.D. Brand, J. Visser, (2018) ‘Integrated Design’, Chapter in H.L.M. Bakker, J. de Kleijn, ‘Projects and People – Mastering success’, NAP Netwerk, Nijkerk, The Netherlands.
- Hertogh, M.J.C.M., H.L.M. Bakker, Ard-Pieter de Man, Roel Scholten (2015), Evaluatie Sluiskiltunnel, Reflectie vanuit wetenschap en praktijk’ Dutch Centre for Underground Construction (COB), Delft, The Netherlands.
- Hertogh, M.J.C.M., (2014), ‘Opportunity framing’ in ‘Management of engineering projects - People are Key”, eds H.L.M. Bakker, J. de Kleijn (2014), NAP Netwerk, Nijkerk, The Netherlands.
- Hertogh, M.J.C.M., Eddy Westerveld (2014), ‘Complex Projects’, in “Handbook of Project Management, 5th edition”, ed. J. Rodney Turner, Gower.
- Hertogh, M.J.C.M. (2014), Inspiratiedocument Duurzaamheid’, Dutch Centre for Underground Construction (COB), Delft, The Netherlands
- Hertogh. M.J.C.M., E. Westerveld (2011), ‘NETLIPSE: Managing large infrastructure projects’, Chapter in J. van Nunen, P. Huijbregts, P. Rietveld ‘Transitions towards sustainable mobility’, Springer
- Hertogh, M.J.C.M., E. Westerveld (2010) ‘Playing with Complexity, Management and Organisation of Large Infrastructure Projects’. (Also publication in Chinese.)
- Hertogh, M.J.C.M., S.K. Baker, P.L. Staal, E. Westerveld (2008) ‘Managing Large Infrastructure Projects’, NETLIPSE. (Also publication in Chinese.)
- Teisman, G.R., E. Westerveld, M.J.C.M. Hertogh (2008), ‘Dynamics and multiplicity of complex management systems II: the case of infrastructure development in Trans-European Networks in Europe’, Chapter, Routledge.
- +31 0(15) 27 84 774
Faculty of Civil Engineering and Geosciences
Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday
Materials, Mechanics, Management & Design (3Md)
Integral Design Management
Design & Integration