Dr. Xueyan Liu
Dr. Liu is currently an Associate Professor in the section of Pavement Engineering of the Faculty of Civil Engineering & Geosciences of TU Delft. In 1996, Dr. Liu was a visiting scholar at Engineering Geology Group, Faculty of Applied Earth Sciences, Delft University of Technology, The Netherlands. In 1997 he joined the group of Mechanics of Structural Systems, Faculty of Civil Engineering & Geosciences of TU Delft as a PhD candidate. In 2003, he was Researcher of Program of Mechanics of Structural Systems. He was appointed as Senior Researcher of Pavement Engineering Section in 2006 and as Associate Professor in 2019. He works in the areas of constitutive modelling, numerical modelling and material experimental characterization. Within the research program of the Section Pavement Engineering, his research topics mostly relate to the development and implementation of constitutive models for the simulation of the static and dynamic response of various pavement engineering materials like soils, asphalt concrete, liner and reinforcing systems etc. and sustainable development technologies, i.e., multiscale modelling of asphaltic materials, warm/cold asphalt concrete technology, durability of asphalt surfacings on orthotropic steel deck bridge, accelerated pavement test, pavement continuous monitoring and sustainable development technologies. Dr. Liu was granted his doctoral thesis in 2003. During the same period, Dr. Liu participated also in the team that developed the ACRe model for Asphalt Concrete Response currently implemented in 3D Computer Aided Pavement Analysis system (CAPA-3D). Dr. Liu has published more than 100 technical and journal papers on the mechanics and the finite element modelling of granular, concrete and asphaltic materials. Dr. Liu is a member of RILEM Technical Committee of Cracking in Asphalt Pavements WG3 and a member of Delft Centre for Materials (DCMat). He is also a member of ISAP, AAPT and IACMAG. Dr. Liu was an Editorial Board Member of Geomaterials (GM). He was invited as Guest Editors of Special Issues for several International Journals. He was also actively involved in organizing inter/national workshops and conferences and was invited as Scientific/Technical committee member in several international conferences.
- Bachelor of Technology, Mining Engineering Liaoning Technical University, China, 1986.
- Master Science, Construction Engineering, Liaoning Technical University, China, 1989.
- Doctor of Philosophy, Faculty of Civil Engineering & Geosciences, Delft University of Technology, the Netherlands, 2003.
- Associate Professor, Pavement Engineering Section, TU Delft, 2019 – Present
- Senior Researcher II, Pavement Engineering Section, TU Delft, 2008 – 2019
- Senior Researcher III, Pavement Engineering Section, TU Delft, 2006 – 2008
- Researcher, Program of Mechanics of Structural Systems, TU Delft, 2001 – 2006
- Assistant Researcher, Program of Mechanics of Structural Systems, TU Delft, 1997 – 2001
- Research Guest, Section of Structural Mechanics, TU Delft, 1996 – 1997
- Lecturer, Liaoning Transportation College, China, 1989 – 1996
- Mechanics of multiphase media
- Experimental testing and constitutive modelling of pavement materials
- Pavement analysis & design
- Multi-physics flow and damage phenomena in asphalt mixtures
- Non-linear finite element analysis techniques
- Experimental testing and constitutive modelling of structural interlayer systems
- Experimental testing and computational characterization of multilayer asphalt surfacing systems on orthotropic steel deck bridges
- Multi-scale constitutive modelling of asphalt concrete
- Induction healing technology for asphalt concrete
- Warm rubberized asphalt concrete technology.
- Waterproofing membrane material development and testing method.
- Epoxy modified bitumen technology for durable and sustainable pavement.
- Cold in place asphalt concrete recycling
- High quality recycling of polymer modified asphalt
- Warm/cold rubberized asphalt concrete technology
List of Selected Journal Publications
- Apostolidis, P., Liu, X., Van de Ven, M.F.C., Erkens, S. and Scarpas, A. (2019). Kinetic Viscoelasticity of Crosslinking Epoxy Asphalt. In Transportation Research Record, TRB, National Research Council, Washington, D.C. Vol. 2673(3) 551–560.
- Apostolidis, P., Liu, X., Erkens, S. and Scarpas, A. (2019). Evaluation of Epoxy Modification in Bitumen. Construction and Building Materials. Vol. 208, pp. 361-368.
- Wang, H., Liu, X., Apostolidis, P., Erkens, S. and Scarpas, A. (2019). Numerical Investigation of Rubber Swelling in Bitumen. CBM， vol. 214, 506-515
- Wang, H., Liu, X., Apostolidis, P., & Scarpas, T. (2018). Review of warm mix rubberized asphalt concrete: Towards a sustainable paving technology. Journal of Cleaner Production, 177, 302-314.
- Xing, C., Xu, H., Tan, Y., Liu, X., Ye, Q. (2019). Mesostructured property of aggregate disruption in asphalt mixture based on digital image processing method. Construction and Building Materials, 200: 781-789.
- Jing, R., Liu, X., A. Varveri, A., Scarpas, A., Erkens, S. (2018). The Effect of Ageing on Chemical and Mechanical Properties of Asphalt Mortar. Applied Sciences (Switzerland), 8(11): p. 2231.
- Jing,R., Varveri, A., Liu, X., Scarpas, A. & Erkens, S. (2019). Ageing Effect on Chemo-mechanics of Bitumen, Road Materials and Pavement Design.
- Xu S, Liu X, Tabaković A, Schlangen E. Investigation of the Potential Use of Calcium Alginate Capsules for Self-Healing in Porous Asphalt Concrete, (2019). Materials;12(1):168.
- Liu, X, Scarpas, T, Li, J, Tzimiris, G, Hofman, R & Voskuilen, J (2013). Test method to assess bonding characteristics of membrane layers in wearing course on orthotropic steel bridge decks. Transportation Research Record, 2360, 77-83.
- Liu, X., Medani, T.O., Scarpas, A. , Huurman, M.and Molenaar, A.A.A. (2009). Characterisation of surfacing materials for orthotropic steel deckbridges. Part 2: numerical work. In: International Journal of Pavement Engineering, dx.doi.org/10.1080/10298430902859346, Taylor & Francis, ISSN 1029-8436 print/ ISSN 1477 - 268X online.
- Liu,X., Scarpas, A. and Kasbergen, C. (2007). A micropolar formulation of the Desai hierarchical model for elastoplastic porous media. In: International Journal of Solids and Structures, Volume 44, Issue 9, 1 May 2007, Pages 2695-2714.
- Wu, C., Liu, X., Scarpas, A. and Ge, X. (2006). Spectral Element Approach for Forward Models of 3D Layered Pavement. In: CMES, vol. 12 no. 2, pp. 149-157, Tech Science Press, ISSN: 1526-1492 (printed), ISSN: 1526-1506.
- Liu, X. and Scarpas, A. (2005). Numerical Modeling of the Influence of Water Suction on the Formation of Strain Localization in Saturated Sand. In: CMES, vol. 9 no. 1, pp. 57 - 74 (2005), Tech Science Press, ISSN: 1526-1492 (printed), ISSN: 1526-1506.
- Liu, X., Cheng, X.H., Scarpas, A. and Blaauwendraad, J. (2005). Numerical modelling of nonlinear response of soil - Part 1: Constitutive model. In: International Journal of Solids and Structures 42 (2005), p. 1849 - 1881 Elsevier (available online at www.sciencedirect.com).
- Liu, X., Scarpas, A. and Blaauwendraad, J. (2005). Numerical modelling of nonlinear response of soil - Part 2: Strain localization investigation on sand. In: International Journal of Solids and Structures 42 (2005), p. 1883 - 1907 Elsevier (available online at www.sciencedirect.com),