Fire Safety Design (3 ECTS)
Basic principles: occurrence of fire, consequence of fire, aims fire safety design, fire safety measures (passive, active).
The fire process, initiation of fires, fire development & modelling.
Reaction-to-fire & smoke production (material behavior), various level of performance, national & European classification systems.
Resistance-to-fire (behavior of structural elements): thermal loading & response, mechanical loading & response, evaluation for concrete, steel and timber.
Smoke control: smoke production, smoke propagation, modelling.
Active measures, automatic detection, automatic suppression, smoke exhaust fire regulations, national (Bouwbesluit), European (Construction Product Directive, Euro classes, Eurocodes).
Fire Safety Engineering: options, perspectives, examples.
As a result the student should become familiar with:
- The basic principles of fire safety in buildings
- The occurrence and development of building fires;
- The behavior of materials and structures in fire;
- Fire safety measures (active & passive);
- The fire safety regulations (national & European)
Expected prior knowledge