Dr. M. Pavlovic
Dr. Marko Pavlovic is assistant professor in group of Steel and Composite Structures since March 2016 focusing on high performance reusable structural components.
His goal in research is to create new knowledge for implementing Fibre Reinforced Polymer (FRP) composite materials in the construction sector based on the experimental and numerical research at three levels: a) material level, b) level of joint and c) level of structure. His focus is on all-FRP structures and hybrid steel-FRP structures and connections in infrastructure. In addition to research on FRP composites his track record include design and research of steel-concrete hybrid beams, high strength steel, joining techniques, bridge design and advanced structural analysis. Marko organizes research on FRP composites in close collaboration with large number of stakeholders from Dutch construction industry and authorities. The examples are projects:
- Fatigue Resistant Wrapped FRP Joints for SHS (2018-2020) – NWO Demonstrator 2018 project. User Committee in the project: Versteden b.v., ASK Romein b.v., Van Oord b.v., All Seas b.v., BAM b.v., HSM b.v., Aliancys b.v.
- Connection types of a GFRP tower with a steel support structure (2019-2020) – RVO project. Project partner: JulesDock company.
- Durability tests on movable bio-based FRP pedestrian bridge segment (2018-2019) – Research and development project supported by Provincie Friesland. Project partners: Delft Infra Composites b.v., Witteveen & Bos b.v., GreenPAC, etc.
- Fatigue and creep behaviour of bolted connectors for steel-FRP decks/structures (2018-2019) – research project supported by Rijkswaterstaat. Project partners: FiberCore Europe b.v., Royal HaskoningDHV b.v., ARUP b.v.
Dr. Pavlovic is an active member of committees dealing with FRP structures and bridges:
- CEN TC/250 WG4 - development of Eurocode for FRP structures;
- Bouwen met Staal TC23 - committee on joints between FRP and steel structural members;
- IABSE – International Association of Bridge and Structural Engineering - representative of TU Delft in Dutch national committee.
His main goal in education is to help development of future generations of structural engineers with unique competence relevant for experts in FRP and hybrid structures. Marko teaches MSc courses on FRP Structures (CIE5128), and Steel Bridges (CIE5125) and collaborates on MSc courses on Fatigue and Capita Selecta Steel and Aluminum Structures. He supervises PhD, MSc and BSc students in the SCS group in field of FRP and steel-FRP hybrid structures. He is supporting students to integrate theoretical knowledge gained in previous courses and apply to design and verification of FRP structures. The intention is to initiate development of problem-solving skills, critical thinking and creativity. Together with F.P. van der Meer (TU Delft) and Liesbeth Tromp (Royal HaskoningDHV) Marko developed an professional education online course “FRP composites in structural engineering” specially aimed at junior and senior engineers in industry who want to learn to use FRP composites in their projects. In 2019 he received award as “2nd best teacher of the year” on the Structural Engineering master track, as voted by students.
In addition to academic achievements he has more than 10 years of experience in cooperation with industry through consultancy on design and advanced structural analysis in projects regarding buildings, bridges, carparks, wind turbine towers, etc.
Marko is actively working on development of the Engineering Structures Department and Faculty of Civil Engineering and Geoscience. He is member of following bodies:
- Young MT of Department of Engineering Structures (chair since September 2019)
- Project team for CEG Strategy Implementation 2019-2024.