Since January 2019
Associate Professor of Induced Seismicity (part-time), TU Delft.
Since May 2012
Senior Specialised Inspector, Dutch State Supervision of Mines (SodM).
2006 - 2012
(Senior) Research Scientist in reservoir geomechanics and induced seismicity, TNO.
2004 - 2006
Post-doctoral researcher, Space Research FoundationThe Netherlands (SRON).
2003 - 2004
Research Associate, Department of Geosciences, University of Utrecht.
1999 - 2003
Phd on deriving strain rates and fault slip distributions from space geodetic data, Department of Geosciences, University of Utrecht.
1997 - 1999
Geophysicist, Geco Prakla, Schlumberger
1993 - 1997
Msc in Geophysics, Faculty of Earth Sciences, University of Utrecht.
My research interests can be broadly defined as the study of earthquakes induced by GeoEnergy applications and the physics of the earthquake source. A major objective of my work is to improve our knowledge of human induced earthquake hazards through the application of physics-based understanding of the underlying processes. I have also long been committed to earthquake risk reduction, specifically through the transfer of scientific understanding of the hazard and ways to influence the hazards, to people, operators, and policymakers.
- Candela, T, Osinga, S., Ampuero, J-P., Wassing, B., Pluymaekers, M., Fokker, P.A., Wees, J-D van, Waal, J.A. de, Muntendam-Bos, A.G., Depletion-induced seismicity at the Groningen gas field: Coulomb rate-and-state models including differential compaction effect, Journal Geophysical Research - Solid Earth 124, 7081–7104, DOI: 10.1029/2018JB016670, 2019
- Baisch, S., Koch, C. and A.G. Muntendam-Bos, Traffic Light Systems – How much control on induced seismicity?, Seismological Research Letters 90, 1145-1154. doi:10.1785/0220180337, 2019.
- Muntendam-Bos, A.G., J.P.A Roest and J.A. de Waal, The effect of imposed production measures on gas extraction induced seismic risk, Netherlands Journal of Geosciences 96-5, s271-s278, doi:10.1017/njg.2017.29 , 2017.
- Waal, J.A. de, A.G. Muntendam-Bos, and J.P.A. Roest, Production Induced Subsidence and Seismicity in the Groningen Gas Field. Can it be managed?, PHIASH-2015-421 Special Issue: Prevention and mitigation of natural and anthropogenic hazards due to land subsidence, Proc. IAHS, 372, 129–139, 2015.
- Samieie-Esfahany, S., R.F. Hanssen, K. van Thienen-Visser, A.G. Muntendam-Bos, On the effect of horizontal deformation on InSAR subsidence estimates, Proc. of Fringe 2009, Frascati, Italy, 30 Nov.-4 Dec., 2009.
- Muntendam-Bos, A.G., I.C. Kroon and P.A. Fokker, Time dependent inversion of surface subsidence due to dynamic reservoir compaction, Mathematical Geology, doi: 10.1007/s11004-007-9135-3, 2008.
- Bos, A.G. and Spakman, W., The surface deformation of the Western United States Deformation Zone inferred from 497 motion vectors, J. Geophys. Res. 110(B8), B08405, doi:10.1029/2003JB002742, 2005.
- Bos, A.G., Spakman, W. and Nyst, M.C.J., Surface deformation and tectonic setting of Taiwan inferred from 143 GPS motion vectors, J. Geophys. Res., 108(B10), 2458, doi:10.1028/2002JB002336, 2003.
- Member of the Program Committee of the Dutch Earthquake Engineering Association (DEEA) Regional Seminar on induced seismicity due to human activities, 11-14 May 2020, Groningen, The Netherlands.
- Member Advisory Board Netherlands Journal of Geosciences.
- Member of the American Geophysical Union (AGU)
Part-time Associate Professor of Induced Seismicity
Faculty of Civil Engineering and Geosciences
Stevinweg 1 / PO-box 5048
2628 CN Delft / 2600 GA Delft
Room number: 3.07
Wednesday & every 1st Thursday of the Month