Production (1904 - 1971): 34.064.000 tonnes.
Location of mine site: Landgraaf (formerly known as Schaesberg).
Number of shafts : 2
In 1879 Carl Honigmann already had submitted a request for a concession. This was called "Carl". After completion of the railway Schaesberg got one of the first Mine sites. In 1898 construction of the the two shafts was started. The shafts were 40 meters apart. Construction was carried out after the method by Friedrich Honigmann. A wooden drilling tower and a construction shed were build, a waterhole dug, a steam engine and other machinery was placed. At the end of april 1899 a depth of 77 meters was reached. In November of the same year, 97,70 meters was reached. Drilling was done with a drill of 3.90 m diameters. Predrilling was done with a drill of 1,25 meter diameter. The construction was delayed because at November 12 1899 the wooden drilling tower was destroyed. The drilling equipment fell into the shaft, and had to be taken out. In the beginning of 1900 drilling was resumed. Drilling of the first shaft took 4.5 year.
In 1904 at last the first coal was brought to the durface. Real production was not yet started, as there was no connection with the railway to Heerlen, so all mined coal had to be hauled by horse and carriage. However, already 4.297 tons of coal were mined. In 1906 full production started, as the railway connection was finished. This same railway was also used by the Wilhelmina mine. Until closure, in total 34.065.000 ton of coal was mined. Maximum production was in 1930 with 687.000 tons. In the last year of production (1970) still 506.000 tons were mined.
The mine produced only lean coal for domestic use. As miners were recruted from local families, the mine was soon called a "family mine".
At January 10, 1918, a major explosion occurred at the surface works. A steam vessel exploded and cause massive damage. Miraculously only one person was killed: Jacob Jongen, 48 years old.
In 1920 1218 people worked at the mine. This increased until 1465 in 1931. From October 1 1969 until the closure on June 1 1971, 1278 employees had to leave. Approximately 413 miners were relocated to the ON-I mine and the ONIII/ONIV mine, 418 people were trained for another job, 131 resigned, and 317 people went with (early) retirement.
(Text taken from Heemkunde Vereniging Landgraaf).