Production 1926 - 1967: 96.214.000 ton.
Locality of mine site: Lutterade/Geleen.
Number of shafts: 2, later (1958) expanded to 3.
In 1911 the Dutch Government bought the concessions "Maasvelden". In 1912, and 1913 drillings were carried out by the Internationale Bohrgesellschaft Erkelenz in the the areas west of the Emma and Hendrik concessions. Drillings were made at the towns of Geleen-Lutterade, Krawinkel and Schinnen. Additional shallow drillings were made near Urmond.
In 1915 it was decided to position the mine at Lutterade, commmunity of Geleen. Railways were constructed for connection with the railway Sittard-Maastricht. In 1916 it was decided to name this 4th State Mine"Maurits", after a famous 17th century member of the Dutch Royal Family.
In 1916, construction of the shafts was begun. The mine was taken in production in 1926. In 1947 the mine was connected to the Emma Mine by a 13 km straight tunnel. In the second half of the 1940's and in the 1950's the mine was expanded, and mining reached a depth of 810 m. A third shaft was completed in 1958. At the time of completion of the third shaft, the Maurits mine was the largest two-shafts mine in the world. It was the largest coal mine in the Netherlands. When in the beginning of the 1960's the economic tide for coal mining turned, it was already anticipated to close the Maurits as one of the first mines. The mine was finally closed down in 1967. The surface facilities were afterwards demolished.
Directly adjacent to the mine site, DSM had already decades before started with cokes production and gasproduction. The "Stikstof Bindingsbedrijf" (SBB - or "nitrogen bonding plant") became the locus for the next step in the history of DSM: it became (and still is) a largechemicals company.