The SuperGPS-project aims to develop a hybrid optical-wireless terrestrial system for accurate positioning through a grid of radio transmitters, synchronized with extremely high accuracy through an optical telecommunication network.
Challenges of the project lie in:
- the architecture and implementation of precise time distribution over an optical network
- the synchronization of the radio-transmitters using the optical network
- radio waveform design and associated efficient signal processing for wireless positioning and time distribution - specifically, the radio signal needs to have a high 'time resolution' in particular to be able to combat multipath effects
- efficient use of the radio spectrum and spectrum-aware medium-access
- optimal positioning algorithms for short range positioning and dealing with Non-Line-of-Sight propagation
- developing an operational demonstrator for a highway scenario