Dr. H. (Harish) Baki
I am a climate modeler having experience with the WRF atmospheric model. Currently, I am working with Prof. Sukanta Basu on wind and solar energy applications as a postdoctoral researcher. I received my Ph.D. in 2022 from the Indian Institute of Technology Madras. My thesis was on calibrating the WRF model combined with machine learning to improve the forecast accuracy of North Indian Ocean tropical cyclones.
I have studied the impact of physics schemes and the model parameters on North Indian Ocean tropical cyclones using the WRF model. In addition, machine learning algorithms-based model calibration and data assimilations were part of my previous research.
My research area includes but is not limited to:
- WRF model simulation
- Model calibration
- Parameterization schemes and model parameters
- Data assimilation
- Machine learning
I am interested in improving the forecast accuracy of atmospheric models through model calibration combined with machine learning algorithms. My postdoctoral research mainly focuses on hindcast simulations using the WRF model at the super-scale resolution for 30 years. In addition, appropriate machine learning algorithms are selected and implemented in weather forecasting
- Baki,H., Kumar,K.E.S., & Srinivasan,B. (2020). Topology Optimization Using Convolutional Neural Network. In Advances in Multidisciplinary Analysis and Optimization (pp.301-307). Springer, Singapore.https://doi.org/10.1007/978-981-15-5432-2_26
- Baki,H., Chinta,S., Balaji,C., and Srinivasan,B. (2021). A sensitivity study of WRF model microphysics and cumulus parameterization schemes for the simulations of tropical cyclones using GPM radar data, Journal of Earth System Science 130(4), pp.1-30. https://doi.org/10.1007/s12040-021-01682-3
- Baki,H., Balaji,C., and Srinivasan,B. (2021). Impact of data assimilation on a calibrated WRF model for the prediction of tropical cyclones over the Bay of Bengal, Current Science, 122(5), pp.569-583. https://doi.org/10.18520/cs/v122/i5/569-583
- Baki,H., Chinta,S., Balaji,C., and Srinivasan,B. (2021). Determining the sensitive parameters of the Weather Research and Forecasting (WRF) model for the simulation of tropical cyclones in the Bay of Bengal using global sensitivity analysis and machine learning, Geoscientific Model Development, 15(5), pp.2133-2155. https://doi.org/10.5194/gmd-15-2133-2022
- Baki,H., Chinta,S., Balaji,C., and Srinivasan,B. (2021). WRF model parameter calibration to improve the prediction of tropical cyclones over the Bay of Bengal using Machine Learning-based Multiobjective Optimization, Journal of Applied Meteorology and Climatology, 61(7), pp.819-83. https://doi.org/10.1175/JAMC-D-21-0184.1
More publications: Research Gate
- Calibration of the WRF model parameters as part of the Coupled Ocean-Atmospheric-Wave-Sediment Transport 9COAWST) model to improve the wind prediction using the SCATSat-1 derived wind data. In collaboration with Indian Space Research Organization (ISRO).
- + 31 633486286
Faculty of Civil Engineering and Geosciences
Room number: 2.05
Monday to Friday