S (Saeed) Khabbazan M.Sc.
I obtained the Master of Science in the field of Remote Sensing at Tehran University in 2014. My thesis was about monitoring surface soil moisture using SAR data. Then I joined TU delft as a Ph.D. researcher at Water Management group of Civil Engineering and Geosciences Faculty in 2017. I have been working on monitoring diurnal and seasonal vegetation water dynamic using active microwave data with a specific focus on using scatterometer system. Since December 2021 I am working as a researcher in the Geoscience and Remote Sensing department.
I am working under the supervision of Professor Susan Steele-Dunne and my research is mostly focused on using active microwave (SAR and Scatterometer) data and radiative transfer modelling techniques to better understand the diurnal and seasonal water dynamic inside the vegetation. I joined the 3 extensive field campaigns in USA and the Netherlands since 2018 to conduct this reasearch.
Using Radar for Vegetation Water Stress
In this project I am working on quantifying the contributions to radar backscatter from an agricultural canopy and using radiative transfer models to identify the onset of water stress.
- Saeed Khabbazan, Susan C. Steele-Dunne, Paul C Vermunt, Jasmeet Judge, Mariette Vreugdenhil, and Ge Gao, 2022. “The influence of surface canopy water on the relationship between L-band backscatter and biophysical variables in agricultural monitoring”. Remote Sensing of Environment, 268, p.112789. doi.org/10.1016/j.rse.2021.112789
- Saeed Khabbazan, Paul Vermunt, Susan Steele-Dunne, Jasmeet Judge, 2021, July. “The Importance of Overpass Time in Agricultural Applications of Radar”. In 2021 IEEE International Geoscience and Remote Sensing Symposium IGARSS (pp. 6084-6087). doi: 10.1109/IGARSS47720.2021.9553391
- Paul C Vermunt, Susan C. Steele-Dunne, Saeed Khabbazan, Nick van de Giesen, and Jasmeet Judge, 2021. “Reconstructing Continuous Vegetation Water Content To Understand Sub-daily Backscatter Variations. Hydrology and Earth System Sciences Discussions”. doi.org/10.5194/hess-2021-459, in review, 2021
- Paul C Vermunt, Saeed Khabbazan, Susan C. Steele-Dunne, Jasmeet Judge, Alejandro Monsivais-Huertero, Leila Guerriero, and Pang-Wei Liu. "Response of Subdaily L-Band Backscatter to Internal and Surface Canopy Water Dynamics." IEEE Transactions on Geoscience and Remote Sensing 2020. doi: 10.1109/TGRS.2020.3035881
- Saeed Khabbazan, Paul Vermunt, Susan Steele-Dunne, Lexy Ratering Arntz, Caterina Marinetti, Dirk van der Valk, Lorenzo Iannini, Ramses Molijn, Kees Westerdijk, and Corn ́e van der Sande. “ Crop monitoring using sentinel-1 data: a case study from the Netherlands”. Remote Sensing, 11(16):1887, 2019. doi.org/10.3390/rs11161887
- Saeed Khabazan, Mehdi Hosseini, Mohammad Reza Saradjian, Mahdi Motagh, and Ramata Magagi. "Accuracy Assessment of IWCM Soil Moisture Estimation Model in Different Frequency and Polarization Bands." Journal of the Indian Society of Remote Sensing 43, no. 4 2015. doi.org/10.1007/s12524-015-0455-3
- Saeed Khabazan, Mahdi Motagh, Mehdi Hosseini: “Evaluation of Radar Backscattering Models IEM, OH, and Dubois using L and C-Bands SAR Data over different vegetation canopy covers and soil depths”; Proceedings of International Conference on SMPR 2013. International Conference on Sensors and Models in Photogrammetry and Remote Sensing, 5-8 Oct. 2013, Tehran, Iran
- + 31 645807391
Faculty of Civil Engineering and Geosciences
Room number: 2.37
Monday to Friday