Dr. A.R. (Alireza) Amiri-Simkooei
I am an assistant professor in the field of marine geodesy and remote sensing. I obtained my PhD in 2007 with a thesis on least squares variance component estimation and its GNSS applications. My post-doctoral research focused on the field of acoustic remote sensing for seafloor bathymetry and sediment classification using multi-beam echo-sounders.
I am the (co)author of around 80 peer-reviewed research papers in ISI journals and more than 30 papers in international conferences. My areas of interest include marine geodesy, global navigation satellite systems (GNSS), advanced estimation and approximation methods, assessment of noise characteristics of geoscience data series, and deformation monitoring.
In my career I have taught a series of courses on Geoscience data series analysis. That includes:
- Seafloor mapping and characterization
- Engineering geodesy in deformation analysis.
- GNSS satellite positioning.
- Geodetic and land surveying.
- Estimation and testing theory.
- Advanced estimation and approximation methods.
- Time series analysis.
- Optimization methods.
- Mestdagh, S., A. Amiri-Simkooei, K.J. van der Reijden, L. Koop, S. O'Flynn, M. Snellen, C. Van Sluis, L.L. Govers, D.G. Simons, P.M.J. Herman, H. Olff, T. Ysebaert (2020) Linking the morphology and ecology of subtidal soft-bottom marine benthic habitats: A novel multiscale approach. Estuarine, Coastal and Shelf Science, 238, 106687
- Gholinejad, S., A.R. Amiri-Simkooei, S.H.A. Moghaddam, A.A. Naeini (2020). An automated PCA-based approach towards optimization of the rational function model, ISPRS Journal of Photogrammetry and Remote Sensing 165, 133-139
- Amiri-Simkooei A.R., M. Hosseini-Asl, J. Asgari, F. Zangeneh-Nejad (2019). Offset detection in GPS position time series using multivariate analysis, GPS Solutions 23 (1), 1-13
- Amiri-Simkooei A.R., L. Koop, K.J. van der Reijden, M. Snellen, D.G. Simons (2019). Seafloor characterization using multibeam echosounder backscatter data: methodology and results in the North Sea, Geosciences 9 (7), 292
- Amiri-Simkooei, A.R. (2018). Parameter estimation in 3D affine and similarity transformation: Implementation of variance component estimation, Journal of Geodesy, 92 (11): 1285–1297
- Zangeneh-Nejad F., A.R. Amiri-Simkooei, M.A. Sharifi, J. Asgari (2018). Recursive Least Squares with Additive Parameters: Application to Precise Point Positioning, Journal of Surveying Engineering 144 (4), 04018006
- Amiri-Simkooei, A.R. (2017). Weighted total least squares with singular covariance matrices subject to weighted and hard constraints, Journal of Surveying Engineering, 143 (4), 04017018
- Amiri-Simkooei, A.R. (2013). On the nature of GPS draconitic year periodic pattern in multivariate position time series. Journal of Geophysical Research: Solid Earth, 118(5), 2500-2511
- Amiri-Simkooei, A.R., M. Snellen, D.G. Simons, (2009). Riverbed sediment classification using MBES backscatter data, The Journal of the Acoustical Society of America, 126(4), 1724-1738
- Teunissen, P.J.G., A.R. Amiri-Simkooei (2008). Least-squares variance component estimation, Journal of Geodesy, 82 (2): 65-82
I was involved in the DISCLOSE project, a partnership among TU Delft, RUG, NIOZ and the North Sea Foundation. The goal was to provide detailed maps of the North Sea bottom and to investigate the boundary conditions under which rich communities can grow. I was involved in the multi-beam echo-sounder data processing for characterization of sediment composition on the mega ripples, sand waves and sand bank structures of the North Sea.
I have been active in the editorial board of a few international journals. Currently I am in the editorial board of Journal of Geodetic Science, Journal of Geomatics Science and Technology, Earth Observation and Geomatics Engineering, and Journal of Surveying Engineering, ASCE. I am currently the associate editor of Journal of Surveying Engineering.
- Amiri-Simkooei A.R. (2020) Least Squares Contribution to Geodetic Time Series Analysis. In: Montillet JP., Bos M. (eds) Geodetic Time Series Analysis in Earth Sciences. Springer Geophysics. Springer, Cham
- Iran Pour, S., N. Sneeuw, M. Weigelt, A. Amiri-Simkooei (2019) Orbit Optimization for Future Satellite Gravity Field Missions: Influence of the Time Variable Gravity Field Models in a Genetic Algorithm Approach, In: International Association of Geodesy Symposia, 1-7
- Amiri-Simkooei A.R., F. Zangeneh-Nejad (2017). Positioning Quality Control, Encyclopedia of Geodesy, Part of the series Encyclopedia of Earth Sciences Series, Springer,1-8
- Amiri-Simkooei, A.R. (2013). Weighted total least squares with weighted and hard constraints, Technical Report, No 101, Series on Mathematical Geodesy, Department of Geomatics Engineering, University of Isfahan, Isfahan, Iran
Assistant Professor in Marine Geodesy
Faculty of Civil Engineering and Geosciences
Room number: 2.29
Monday till Friday