Merel has a passion for field work and graduated in 2016 from the University of Wageningen. She conducted her Master research in the port of Rotterdam, where she investigated the physics of salt dispersion in a tidal channel.
Merel is always involved in other activities, such as: forming of a PhD council within her faculty, chairing a committee on the content of her study programme, or being a treasurer in an organisation for nature camps.
Merel develops a tool to optimize the design of tidal turbines in coastal infrastructure at a range of spatial scales, by maximizing the energy production and minimizing the hydro-environmental effects. She collaborates with Rijkswaterstaat, Deltares, and engineering firms. Merel was responsible for the gathering and analysis of hydrodynamic data during a large monitoring campaign. Furthermore, she set up experiments in the water laboratory to validate the computer tool, using tests with a small turbine.
- M. C. Verbeek, R. J. Labeur, and W. S. J. Uijttewaal. The performance of a weir-mounted tidal turbine: Field observations and theoretical modelling. submitted, 2019.
- M. Leopold, M. Scholl (eds.), A. Bijlsma, A. de Fockert, M. Verbeek, M. Gatto, R. J. Labeur, L. IJsseldijk, R. Kastelein, and Dedert M. Monitoring getijdenturbines oosterscheldekering jaarrapportage 2018. Technical Report C010/19, Wageningen Marine Research Den Helder,Wageningen UR (University and Research centre), March 2019. pp. 1-58.
- M. C. Verbeek, R. J. Labeur, A. C. Bijlsma, and T. S. D. O’Mahoney. How bathymetric features affect turbine performance: Insights from a cfd model. In 7th Oxford Tidal Energy Workshop 8-9 April 2019, Oxford, UK, 13–14, 2019.
- M. C. Verbeek, R. J. Labeur, and W. S. J. Uijttewaal. Estimating the stability of a bed protection downstream of a weir-mounted tidal turbine. In D. Vicinanza (ed), Proceedings of the Thirteenth European Wave and Tidal Energy Conference, number 1499, pages 1–4, University of Napels, Italy, September 2019. EWTEC.
- M. C. Verbeek, B. Vermeulen, and A. J. F. Hoitink. Including tidal models in adcp processing. In 18th Physics of Estuaries and Coastal Seas Conference, 2016.
- Y.B. Broekema, M.C. Verbeek, and P.L.M. de Vet. Hydro-morphodynamics at the eastern scheldt: a wide range of scales. In NCK Days 2017 - 25th edition, Royal Netherlands Naval Institute, Den Helder, March 15 – March 17 2017.
The New Delta Program - project 869.15.008. The New Delta program aims to find sustainable solutions for water safety and use of water infrastructure. Authorities in deltas all over the world face the challenge to protect inhabitants from coastal flooding, to provide enough electricity - preferably in a renewable way - and to sustain the ecological value of a delta.
- Omroep Zeeland, Onderzoek getijdencentrale voor Tocardo, 26/05/2017
- IHE Low Land Hydropower seminar: theory and practice seminar
- +31 15 2788129
Room number: S3.00.110 (Stevinlab 3)
Faculty of CEG
2628 CN Delft
PO box 5048
2600 GA Delft
Presence: Mon - Fri