Laboratory Fluid Mechanics
The Fluid Mechanics Laboratory is at service of the Department of Hydraulic Engineering (Environmental Fluid Mechanics section and Hydraulic & Offshore Engineering Section), the Department of Geotechnical Engineering and the Department of Water Management (Land & Water Management Section).
The laboratory has as mission the offering of potentials for practical work and demonstrations for the sake of teaching activities by the sections as well as providing research facilities for MSc-students. There is also the potential for and realizing physical- experimental research in the fields covered by the above-mentioned sections.
The core activities are managing, procuring and maintaining the facilities and equipment in the laboratory. This activities also include the setting up, performing and processing of measurements in experiments, as well as developing the numerical codes required. Furthermore, the laboratory provides designing and constructing experimental facilities, specific installations, apparatus and equipment.
The laboratory has a total surface area of 5000 m2. Within, a surface area of 1700 m2 is reserved for experiments. This area is supplied with electrical power and water.The total power available for operating is 500 kW. For the experiments requiring a fluid a total water flow capacity of 2.0 m3/s and a total capacity of reservoirs of 1200 m3 is provided.
A summary of the major experimental facilities is given below.
- Straight flumes
2 short flumes: eff. length 4.40 m, width 0.20 m, max.depth 0.40 m, flow
2 long tilting flumes: eff. length 14.30 m, width 0.40 m, max.depth 0.40 m, flow
- 1 (sediment transport) flume: eff. length 39.00 m, width 0.80 m, max. depth 0.85 m, flow, wave generator = irregular, piston, hydraulically driven, automatic reflection compensation, flow & waves combined, strokelength 0.60 m
- 1 (sediment transport) flume: eff. length 42.00 m, width 0.80 m, max.depth 1.00 m, flow in both directions, wave generator = irregular, piston, electro- mechanically driven, automatic reflection compensation, flow & waves combined, strokelength 2.00 m1 flume: eff. length 27.00 m, width 2.00 m, max.depth 0.40 m, flow
- 1 flume: eff. length 19.20 m, width 3.00 m, max.depth 0.20 m, flow
- 1 flume: eff. length 21.00 m, width 0.50 m, max.depth 0.55 m, flow, option wave generator = regular, flap & piston combined, mechanically driven, flow & waves combined
- 1 flume: eff. length 9.50 m, width 0.50 m, max.depth 0.65 m, flow, wave generator = regular, flap & piston combined, mechanically driven, flow & waves combined
- Rotating annular flumewith rotating upper lid, max. diameter 4.00 m, width 0.30 m, max. depth 0.50 m
- Flocculation and Settling Columnwith appurtenances, effective height (incl. of bed section) = 4.80 m, inner diameter = 0.28 m, in temperature-controlled room
- Measuring Equipmentfor determining: fluid proper ties, water levels, (sand-)bed levels, discharges, wave heights, velocities (inclusive of turbulence characteristics), pressures, physical, chemical and rheological properties of mudapplying: 16- channel data-acquisition systems (simultaneous sampling), 2D & 3D LDA, traverse systems (1D, 2D, 3D), rheometer, PIV
- Basins effective horizontal dimensions 28.60 × 16.60 m2, max. depth 0.60 m
effective horizontal dimensions 2.50 × 2.50 m2, max. depth 2.00 m