Dr. Poonam Taneja has a degree in Civil Engineering from India and an MSc degree in Port Planning from the Netherlands. She has extensive experience in port Masterplanning and design of port infrastructures in various countries. After working at the Rotterdam Public Works Department at the ports division for more than fifteen years, she began her PhD research at Delft University of Technology. Her PhD research investigated flexibility and adaptability aspects in ports. Ports are beset with many uncertainties about their futures and her dissertation titled “The Flexible Port” recommends that Adaptive Port Planning is the key for dealing with this prevailing uncertainty.
Her other areas of interest include Integrated and Sustainable port design. Presently, she is employed as a lecturer/ researcher at the Section of Ports and Waterways at the Delft University of Technology. She is promoting her research through supervising MSc and PhD research, through publications, and seeking practical applications in port projects worldwide.
- Taneja, P, H. Ligteringen, M. van Schuylenburg (2010). Dealing with uncertainty in design of port infrastructure systems. Journal of design research, 8(2), 101–118.
- Taneja, P, W.E. Walker, H. Ligteringen, M. van Schuylenburg, R. van der Plas (2010), Implications of an uncertain future for port planning. Maritime policy and management, 37(3), 221–245.
- Herder, P.M., J. de Joode, A. Ligtevoet, S. Schenk, P. Taneja (2010). Buying real options: valuing uncertainty in infrastructure planning. Futures, Vol. 43(9), pp. 961–969.
- Taneja, P., H. Ligteringen, W.E. Walker (2011). Flexibility in port planning and design, European Journal of Transport and Infrastructure Research, Issue 12(1), December 2011, pp. 65–86.
- Taneja, P., W. E. Walker, H. Ligteringen, M. van Schuylenburg (2011). Adaptive port planning using Real Options, International Journal of Engineering Management and Economics, Vol. 2(4), pp. 313-334.
- Taneja, P., van Turnhout, B.E., and Aartsen, M.E. (2012). Infrastructure planning under uncertainty. International Journal of Critical Infrastructures, 8(2/3):134–146.
- Taneja, P., Bijloo, E., Ruitenberg, J., and van Schuylenburg, M. (2012). Planning for an uncertain future: A case study. International Journal of System of Systems Engineering, 3(2):181–193.
- Taneja, P., Ros, R., Vellinga, T., and van Schuylenburg, M. (2012). Flexibility in port infrastructures. Terra Et Aqua, June 2012, 127:12-19.
- Taneja, P., T. Vellinga, R. Ros (2014). Role of flexibility in sustainable port development, Infranomics: Sustainability, Engineering Design and Governance, Gheorghe et al. (ed.), Springer.
|2007-present:||Delft University of Technology|
|1995-2011:||Design Engineer at Rotterdam Public Works Department|
|1995:||Marine Engineer, INCONED B.V., Indonesia|
|1994:||Researcher, Faculty of Civil Engineering, TU-Delft|
|1986-1991:||Design Civil Engineer with The Howe Group (India and Canada)|
|2007 – 2013:||PhD, Delft University of Technology, Research topic “The Flexible Port”|
|1991 – 1993:||MSc in Hydraulic Engineering, Institute for Water Education (UNESCO-IHE), Delft|
|1988 – 1991:||MTech, Indian Institute of Technology, Delhi, India|
|1981 – 1986:||Bachelor of Civil Engineering, Delhi College of Engineering, India|