Van Koningsveld, M. (Mark)
Mark van Koningsveld holds an MSc (1998) and a PhD degree (2003) in civil engineering from the University of Twente. After his PhD work, which was carried out at WL|Delft Hydraulics, later Deltares, he continued to work there until 2008.
In 2008 he switched jobs to work for Van Oord. During his time at Van Oord, Van Koningsveld has been active in the fields of environmental engineering and data science both with a strong focus on innovation.
He has been part of the Management Team of the EcoShape foundation, which runs the Building with Nature innovation programme, and currently still is secretary of the Topsector Water & Maritiem on behalf of the business node of the Dutch Diamond (government, research institutes, NGO’s and businesses).
He currently holds the position of Manager R&D Engineering and has been appointed to a corporate taskforce structuring Van Oord's research and development activities.
Van Koningsvelds research interest focuses on the application of science for decision making. His PhD work at the University of Twente, which was titled 'Matching Specialist Knowledge with End User Needs', is a clear testimony of this focus.
His work at Van Oord is very much directed at this same interface with special attention to roadmaps for marine infrastructure development, offshore and offshore wind, engineering and estimating tools and equipment development.
The chair of Ports and Waterways aligns perfectly with this focus, aiming for efficient and effective solutions on the interface of nautical processes, logistics and environmental factors, which includes physical factors like wind, waves and depth, but also man made restrictions in the form of limits, regulations, etc.
Van Koningsvelds is involved in the following Msc. courses:
- CIE4330 - Ports and Waterways 1
- CIE5306 - Ports and Waterways 2
Van Koningsveld also guides MSc students for their Msc thesis (CIE5060).
- Laboyrie, P., Van Koningsveld, M., Aarninkhof, S.G.J., Van Parys, M., Lee, M., Jensen, A., Csiti, A. and Kolman, R., in preparation. “Dredging for Sustainable Infrastructure Development”. CEDA / IADC, The Hague, The Netherlands. (planned publication end of 2018)
- Van Koningsveld, M., R. ter Hofstede, J. Elzinga, T. Smolders, M. Schutter and R. Osinga, 2017. “ReefGuard: A Scientific Approach to Active Reef Rehabilitation.” Terra et Aqua, 147(1), pp. 5-16
- Lengkeek, W., K. Didderen, M. Teunis, F. Driesen, J. Coolen, O. Bos, S. Vergouwen, T. Raaijmakers, M. de Vries, M. van Koningsveld (2017). “Eco-friendly design of scour protection: potential enhancement of ecological functioning in offshore wind farms. Towards an implementation guide and experimental set-up.” Bureau Waardenburg, Wageningen Marine Research, Deltares and Delft University of Technology.
- Van Duren, L.A. , Gittenberger, A., Smaal, A.C., Van Koningsveld, M., Osinga, R., Cado van der Lelij, J.A. & De Vries, M.B. (2016). “Rijke riffen in de Noordzee: verkenning naar het stimuleren van natuurlijke riffen en gebruik van kunstmatig hard substraat.” Deltares (in Dutch).
- Baart, F., Van Ormondt, M., Van Thiel de Vries, J. & Van Koningsveld, M., 2016. “Morphological impact of a storm can be predicted three days ahead” Computers & Geosciences, 90, pp 17-23
- Becker, J. H.; Van Eekelen, E. M. M.; Wiechen, J.; De Lange, W.; Damsma, T.; Smolders, T. & Van Koningsveld, M., 2015. “Estimating source terms for far field dredge plume modelling” Journal of Environmental Management, 149(C), pp 282-293
- De Vriend, H. J.; Van Koningsveld, M.; Aarninkhof, S. G. J.; De Vries, M. B. & Baptist, M. J., 2015. “Sustainable hydraulic engineering through Building with Nature” Journal of Hydro-environment Research, 9, pp 159-171
- Garel, E.; Camba, C.; Ferreira, Ó. & Van Koningsveld, M., 2014. “Applicability of the “Frame of Reference” approach for environmental monitoring of offshore renewable energy projects.” Journal of Environmental Management, 141(1), pp 16-28
- Van Koningsveld, M., T. Damsma, R. van der Hout, J. van Wiechen and G. de Boer, 2013. “OpenEarth: A Knowledge Management Workflow for Dredging Projects”. Terra et Aqua, 2013, 131(1), pp. 3-14.
- Van Wesenbeeck, B.K., J.N. Griffin, M. van Koningsveld, K.B. Gedan, M. McCoy, B.R. Silliman, 2013. “Nature-based coastal defense: can biodiversity help?” Encyclopaedia of Biodiversity, 2nd Edition. Edited by: S. Levin. Princeton University Press. pp. 451-458
- De Vriend, H.J. and M. van Koningsveld, 2012. “Building with Nature. Thinking, acting and interacting differently.” EcoShape – Building with Nature, Dordrecht, the Netherlands (Official booklet of the Building with Nature Innovation programme). ISBN 978-94-6190-957-2
- Baart, F.; Van Gelder, P.H.A.J.M.; De Ronde, J.; Van Koningsveld, M. & Wouters, B., 2012. “The effect of the 18.6 year lunar nodal cycle on regional sea level rise estimates.” Journal of Coastal Research, 28(2), pp. 511-516
- Baart, F., Van Koningsveld, M and Stive, M. J. F. , 2012. “Trends in sea-level trend analysis.” Journal of Coastal Research, 28(2), pp. 311-315
- Van Koningsveld, M.; Stive, M.J.F.; Mulder, J.P.M., Van der Valk, L. and Van der Weck, A.W. 2008. "Living with Sea Level Rise and Climate Change. A case study of the Netherlands." Journal of Coastal Research, 24 (2) pp. 367-379