Dr. Ir. N. (Niels) van Oort
Niels van Oort works as an assistant professor Public Transport at Delft University of Technology and is co-director of the Smart Public Transport Lab. He has been involved in public transport projects for over 15 years. His main fields of expertise are public transport planning and design, dealing with the passenger perspective, service reliability and Big Data. In addition to teaching, Niels often presents his work at conferences and he frequently publishes articles in (international) journals.
Niels studied traffic and transport at Delft University of Technology and finished his Master on Public Transport in 2003. He started to work as a researcher at HTM, the public transport company of The Hague. During this job, he started a PhD on service reliability in public transport. He performed his research part time at Delft University of Technology and in 2009 he joined the public transport research group of Professor Wilson at MIT. In 2010 he changed jobs to work as a public transport consultant at Goudappel Coffeng mobility consultants. He finished his PhD in 2011 and started to work at Delft university of Technology in 2012 as an (parttime) assistant professor. Since 2018, he is fulltime employed. He likes to do scientific research and applying his research insights into practice. Since 2020, he has been involved in small projects via his company Van Oort Mobility Consultancy.
Niels is involved in several studies concerning network and timetable optimization, thereby applying his research into practice. His main fields of expertise are public transport planning, dealing with the passenger perspective, service reliability and Big Data. In addition to teaching, Niels often presents his work at conferences and he frequently publishes articles in (international) journals. He supervises PhD students doing research on a.o. integrated networks, passenger behaviour and emerging (first/last mile) modes.
- Alonso-González, M.J., Hoogendoorn-Lanser, S., van Oort, N., Cats, O., Hoogendoorn, S. (2020). Drivers and barriers in adopting Mobility as a Service (MaaS) – A latent class cluster analysis of attitudes. Transportation Research Part A: Policy and Practice, 132, pp. 378-401.
- Yap, M., Luo, D., Cats, O., van Oort, N., Hoogendoorn, S.(2019) Where shall we sync? Clustering passenger flows to identify urban public transport hubs and their key synchronization priorities. Transportation Research Part C: Emerging Technologies, 98, pp. 433-448
- Shelat, S., Huisman, R., van Oort, N. (2018); Analysing the trip and user characteristics of the combined bicycle and transit mode. Research in Transportation Economics, 69, pp. 68-76.
- Van Oort, N. (2016). Incorporating enhanced service reliability of public transport in cost-benefit analyses. Public Transport, Volume 8 (1), pp 143-160.
- Van Oort, N., T. Brands, E. de Romph (2015), Short-Term Prediction of Ridership on Public Transport with Smart Card Data, Transportation Research Record, No. 2535, pp. 105-111.
- Van Oort, N., D. Sparing, T. Brands, R.M.P. Goverde (2015), Data driven improvements in public transport: the Dutch example, Public Transport, Vol 7(3), pp.369-389
- Van Oort, N. (2014) Incorporating service reliability in public transport design and performance requirements: International survey results and recommendations, Research in Transportation Economics, Volume 48, December 2014, Pages 92-100.
- Van Oort, N., N.H.M. Wilson, R. van Nes (2010), Reliability improvement in short headway transit services: schedule-based and headway-based holding strategies, Transportation Research Record, No. 2143, pp.67-76.
- Advanced Public Transport Operations and Modelling (CT5825)
- Public transport planning and operations (CT4811)
- Advanced modelling: data driven public transport models (CT5802)
- Evaluation of public transport projects (CT4760)
- Landside accessibility of airports (CT3080)
- MSc Thesis supervision
- Torabi, F., N. van Oort, S.P. Hoogendoorn (2019),The future of intermodal Hubs, Chapter in “Stations as Nodes exploring the role of stations in future metropolitan areas, from a French and Dutch perspective” eds. Triggianese, Cavallo, Baron and Kuijper . TU Delft Open.
- Van der Bijl, R., N. van Oort, B. Bukman (2018), Light Rail Transit Systems: 61 Lessons in Sustainable Urban Development, Elsevier.
- Van Oort, N., T. Brands, E. de Romph, M. Yap (2016), Ridership Evaluation and Prediction in Public Transport by Processing Smart Card Data:A Dutch Approach and Example, Chapter 11, Public Transport Planning with Smart Card Data, eds. Kurauchi F., Schmöcker, J.D., CRC Press.
- Bijl, R. vd, B. Bukman, N. van Oort (2015), Investeren in de stad: lessen uit 47 light rail projecten, Milete Media.
- Bijl, R. vd, N. van Oort (2014), Light rail explained, EMTA report.
- Van Oort, N. (2011), Service Reliability and Urban Public Transport Design, T2011/2, TRAIL PhD Thesis Series, Delft
Dr.ir. N. van Oort
2020-01-15 - 2022-01-15
Advisering/onderzoek en overig