Prof.dr.ir. L.C. (Luuk) Rietveld
Luuk Rietveld is professor of Drinking Water & Urban Water Cycle Technology since 2010. He is also Chairman of the Department of Water Management.
After finalizing his studies Civil Engineering at TU Delft in 1987, he worked until 1991 as lecturer Sanitary Engineering at the Eduardo Mondlane University in Mozambique. Since 1991 he has been working at TU Delft as expert international co-operation, lecturer and assistant, associate and full professor. In 2005 Luuk Rietveld defended his PhD-thesis.
The research activities focus on integration and innovation in the Urban Water Cycle and Drinking Water supply. Therefore fundamental knowledge of the processes is obtained to be able to explain the behaviour of the processes and anticipate on changes and disturbances. The research has been funded by national and international agencies in over 20 projects.
Special interests: water quality and treatment, wastewater reclamation, water & IT, water and sanitation for the poor.
Drinking water, after being consumed, is transported, treated and discharged to water bodies as sewage or “used water”. However, this used water can also serve as a source for industry, agriculture and even drinking water production to alleviate water scarcity, avoid pollution of the environment and give incentive to modern sub-surface infrastructures. When the entire urban water cycle is considered, synergetic advantages can be obtained and innovative solutions can be developed. In the research, special attention is given to the emerging substances, like endocrine disrupting compounds, energy and resources recovery, direct treatment of sewage to high quality water, treatment of waste streams and modelling of treatment processes and transport infrastructure. Research is carried out to develop innovative technologies, such as ceramic membranes, zeolites, (bio)filters, and control algorithms.
- CTB3365 – Introduction to Water Treatment
- CTB1120 – Introduction to Civil Engineering
- CTB2120 – Water Management
- Shang, R., Goulas, A., Tang, C. Y., de Frias Serra, X., Rietveld, L. & Heijman, B. Atmospheric pressure atomic layer deposition for tight ceramic nanofiltration membranes: Synthesis and application in water purification (2017) Journal of Membrane Science. 528, p. 163–170
- Gude, J. C. J., Rietveld, L. C. & van Halem, D. (2016) Fate of low arsenic concentrations during full-scale aeration and rapid filtration, Water Research. 88, January, p. 566-574 9 p
- Lutchmiah, K., Verliefde, A.R.D., Roest, K., Rietveld, L.C., Cornelissen, E.R. Forward osmosis for application in wastewater treatment: A review (2014) Water Research, 58, pp. 179-197.
- Elías-Maxil, J.A., Van Der Hoek, J.P., Hofman, J., Rietveld, L. Energy in the urban water cycle: Actions to reduce the total expenditure of fossil fuels with emphasis on heat reclamation from urban water (2014) Renewable and Sustainable Energy Reviews, 30, pp. 808-820.
- Bakker, M., Vreeburg, J.H.G., van Schagen, K.M., Rietveld, L.C. A fully adaptive forecasting model for short-term drinking water demand (2013) Environmental Modelling and Software, 48, pp. 141-151.