Mexican biologist from the Universidad Autónoma de Nuevo León (Mexico) with Master’s Degree in Ecosystem’s Restoration issued by the Universidad de Alcalá de Henares (Spain). My professional background is focused on high priority aquatic conservation values, ecological processes, functions and services, and development of rivers and wetlands management, conservation and restoration strategies.
In 2010, I joined the World Wildlife Fund Inc. (Mexico) to provide technical support in the development of a national standard for determining environmental flows and in the identification of potential water reserves for the environment. To date, I have coordinated and conducted environmental flow assessments with hydrological and holistic methodologies encompassing more than 50 river sub-basins, 20 capacity-building workshops in Mexico, Latin America and Asia, and given presentations for national and international audiences.
In 2013, I started my PhD research titled Determining Mexican climate-adaptive environmental flows reference values for people and nature, as a guest candidate in the Water Management Department of the Civil Engineering & Geosciences Faculty in TU-Delft. Today, I am working in the last part of my research funded by the WWF-Prince Bernhard Scholarship for Nature Conservation and the Mexican Council for Science and Technology.
- Environmental water science: ecohydrology, ecohydraulics, environmental flow components and flow alteration-ecological response relationships, ecological importance and habitat integrity assessments.
- Environmental flows in-site implementation, policy and mechanisms of environmental water allocations and monitoring and performance assessment systems development.
- Short and long-term flow variability, water-related vulnerability and risk assessments, nature-based strategies to adapt to impacts of climate change.
- Salinas-Rodríguez S.A., Barrios-Ordóñez J.E., Sánchez-Navarro R. and Wickel A.J. Environmental flows and water reserves: Principles, strategy and contribution to Mexican public water and conservation policies. In review, submitted to River Research and Applications.
- Grill G., Lehner B., Thieme M., Geenen B., Tickner D., Antonelli F., Babu S., Cheng L., Crochetiere H., Filgueiras R., Goichot M., Higgins J., Hogan Z., Lip B., McClain M., Meng J-H., Mulligan M., Nilsson C., Olden J.D., Opperman J., Petry P., Reidy Liermann C., Saenz L., Salinas-Rodríguez S., Schelle P., Snider J., Tockner K., Valdujo P.H., van Soesbergen A. and Zarfl C. Assessing global river connectivity to map the world’s remaining free-flowing rivers. In review, submitted to Science
- De la Lanza Espino G., Salinas-Rodríguez S.A. and Carbajal Pérez J.L. 2015. Environmental flow calculation as foundation for the environmental water reserve in Piaxtla river, Sinaloa, Mexico. Geographical Research, Geography Institute Journal. No. 87:25-38
- De la Lanza Espino G., Carbajal Pérez J.L., Salinas-Rodríguez S.A. and Barrios Ordóñez J.E. 2012. Measurement of the ecological flow of the Acaponeta river, Nayarit, comparing different time intervals. Geographical Research, Geography Institute Journal. No. 78:62-74.
- Salinas-Rodríguez, S.A. and N. Ramírez Marcial. 2010. “El Triunfo” Biosphere Reserve rivers, a diagnosis for their hydrological restoration. Hidrobiológica. Mexico. 20(2):91-100.
Conferences, congresses and other meetings:
- Salinas-Rodríguez S.A. 2016. Water reserves in Mexico: An innovative mechanism for protecting rivers and wetlands. Workshop 7: Environmental flows and wetland water requirements. 10th INTECOL International Wetlands Conference. Changshu, China. September 2016. Oral presentation.
- Salinas-Rodríguez S.A. 2015. Key ecohydrology concepts for environmental flow determination. National Meeting of Ecohydrology. Mexico City. November 2015. Oral presentation.
- Salinas-Rodríguez S.A. 2015. Environmental flow: From water management to ecosystem-based adaptation to climate change. IV Paraguayan Congress of Water Resources “Water governability and sustainable development”. Asunción, Paraguay. August 2015. Oral presentation.
- Salinas-Rodríguez S.A. 2015. Environmental flow implementation as an instrument of the Water Resources Management, Country context: Mexico. 2nd Regional Workshop on Environmental Flows: Regional Experiences and Challenges. Regional Program of Ecohydrology for Latin-American and the Caribbean. Panamá, Panamá. March 2015. Oral presentation.
- Salinas-Rodríguez S.A. 2013. Water Reserves Program. An adaptation strategy to prevent imbalance of water in nature. American Geophysical Union. Session: Imbalance of Water in Nature. Annual Meeting. San Francisco, CA. USA. December 2013. Oral presentation.
- Wickel A.J., Salinas-Rodríguez S.A., Barrios E., Sindorf N., Freeman S. and Matthews J.H. 2012. Tools and methods for assessing and reducing water resources vulnerability to climate change. UNFCCC – Technical workshop on water, climate change impacts and adaptations strategies. Mexico City, Mexico. July 2012. Oral presentation.