Structural Response to Earthquakes
Welcome to the TU Delft website on Structural Response to Earthquakes!
The website gives an overview of the research findings on the safety and damage assessment of existing buildings subject to induced earthquakes in the north of the Netherlands (Groningen area). This research is conducted by the sections of Structural Mechanics, Bio-based Materials and Structures, and Building Engineering at the Faculty of Civil Engineering and Geosciences.
The research develops along the following lines:
- Multiscale experimental tests for the characterisation at material, component, connection and structural level of unreinforced masonry buildings and timber elements in the framework of safety assessment.
- Development of experimental methods for the in-situ material characterisation of unreinforced masonry buildings
- Development and validation of continuum models for the evaluation of seismic vulnerability of existing unreinforced masonry buildings and timber elements.
- Development and validation of continuum models and detailed micro modelling approaches towards the assessment of light-damage in existing buildings.
- Design, multiscale experimental testing and characterization of seismic retrofitting methods for existing unreinforced masonry buildings and timber elements.