About the ELLIS Delft Unit
In December 2019, ELLIS selected TU Delft for establishing one of its units for European research excellence in Artificial Intelligence (AI) and machine learning. The unit is comprised of top researchers who work on tackling fundamental challenges in AI with a focus on research excellence and societal impact.
The ELLIS Delft Unit focuses on using learning techniques as a key enabling technology to deal with complex tasks, and making intelligent systems adapt to their environment including social circumstances. The main goals are:
- Investigate intelligent systems that are sustainable in the long run and that have sufficient meaningful human control.
- Understand how to use socially-aware AI to improve the effectiveness and efficiency of complex socio-technical systems and the quality of life for all members of society.
- Develop - specifically in the context of technical systems such as infrastructures and robots - novel AI methods for making complex yet explainable decisions, for instance by humans-AI collaboration to explore the consequences of such decisions.
Within this context, the ELLIS Delft Unit offers unique research and education strengths to high-profile faculty members in the following fields:
- Sequential decision making (e.g., reinforcement learning and scheduling) with applications in domains like robotics, vision, self-driving cars, smart energy systems, transportation, smart cities, and cybersecurity.
- Interaction (multi-agent/actor decision making) with applications such as in human-AI interaction and collaboration, crowdsourcing, and web technologies.
- Machine learning techniques for bioinformatics in the context of healthy living, disease diagnosis and prevention, and microbiological industrial processes.
Joining ELLIS Delft
The ELLIS Delft Unit brings together TU Delft's researchers working in various sub-fields of machine learning. The unit faculty is formed by (assistant/associate/full) professors that are also ELLIS members. If you want to join the ELLIS Delft Unit, please contact one of the board members.
ELLIS is a pan-European effort initiated in 2018 to foster European research excellence in machine learning and related fields. In 2019, ELLIS announced the establishment of the first 17 ELLIS units across 10 European countries, and the network has been growing since. In addition to the units, ELLIS brings together researchers via the ELLIS programs, and supports young talent via the PhD & Postdoc program.