Floating Wind University Challenge
Offshorewind4Kids launched a global floating wind university challenge with the possibility to win 1000 Euros! Interested? The TU Delft Wind Energy Institute (DUWIND) offers its support!
The challenge is to design and build a floating wind turbine structure. The structure needs to support a Kosmos (4th gen) wind turbine and will be tested in the Atlantic basin at Deltares (Delft) under the following conditions:
- 90cm water depth
- Hub height 70 cm above water level
- Sandy seabed of 40 cm depth (assume medium density)
- Up to 20 cm significant wave height (unidirectional)
- Wind speed TBA (no misalignment with waves)
All information concerning the challenge can be found on the official website: https://www.offshorewind4kids.com/university-challenge
- 31 December 2021: abstract deadline (a ± 2 pager that details the floating concept)
- 31 January 2022: Notification of selection for the competition event. Up to 10 groups will be selected.
- 29 April 2022: Report deadline (max 60 pages)
- 13 May 2022: Competition event at a Deltares, Delft
The TU Delft Wind Energy Institute (DUWIND) offers support!
Competing in the Floating Wind University Challenge is voluntary, of course, but it’s a great opportunity to gain experience in floating wind energy, learn new skills, work in a team, have fun and maybe even win some cash! As part of our mission to promote education and research in wind energy, we, the TU Delft Wind Energy Institute (DUWIND), are offering our support for this initiative with the relevant expertise of TU Delft researchers and their guidance.
We ask you to read the website and the requirements carefully. Are you still interested to compete in the floating wind university challenge? Great! Please inform Sarah Nietiedt (S.I.S.Nietiedt@Tudelft.nl) before 16 October 2021. We kindly ask you to include the following information in your e-mail:
- Your name,
- Your BSc or MSc programme and study year.
- Also let Sarah know if you have already set-up a team, if you are still looking for team members (indicate which expertise is missing) or if you are looking for a team. We will do our best to connect you with each other.
As soon as groups have been formed, we will introduce you to one of TU Delft’s researchers who is happy to share his/her expertise with you. If your team is selected for the competition event, DUWIND will support you in building the prototype.