Materials Science & Engineering is an interdisciplinary study focusing on the relationship between structures and behaviour of materials (science) and the design of these structures to produce predefined properties for specific applications (engineering). Students consider materials over a wide range of length and time scales, from the behaviour of collections of individual atoms through to macroscopic structural and functional properties and from raw material processing through materials production and application to eventual failure and recycling.
Our students consider the development of materials that meet or exceed performance expectations for specific functions as well as with the manufacturing processes that convert raw materials into final engineered products Particular attention is paid to the design of innovative new and sustainable materials for the continuously evolving needs of society.
The mission is to offer students high-quality, multi-disciplinary education, and to turn out graduates capable of making immediate and significant contributions to a wide range of industrial and academic areas at a global level. More specifically, the following mission statements serve as our guiding principles:
- to provide students with a sound and thorough understanding of the underlying scientific and engineering principles involved in Materials Science and Engineering;
- to enhance knowledge of materials design, selection, processing and characterisation with relevance to a broad range of industrial and other applications;
- to build up awareness of the environmental, economic and human aspects of materials selection, usage, recycling and disposal;
- to provide students with skills in the planning, execution and reporting of materials processing, characterisation, and implementation for relevant applications;
- to expose our students to high level materials science research, involving state-of-the-art characterisation tools and to bring students into contact with ambitious and leading materials researchers.
MSE is active in two Bachelor programs:
- Bachelor Mechanical Engineering
- Bachelor Maritime Engineering
and one MSc program:
- Master Materials Science and Engineering