Researching sensors and actuators for future mechatronics
Andres received his PhD degree in Computer and Systems Engineering from Tallinn University of Technology in Tallinn, Estonia in 2017. Since August 2017 he joined TU Delft as a postdoctoral researcher in the Department of Precision and Microsystems Engineering. Since 15 August 2020 Andres continued his academic career within the department as Assistant professor. His research interests include smart material sensors and actuators, compliant actuators, and metamaterials, and their utilisation in high-tech mechatronics, medical and robotics applications. His research builds towards active materials for future engineering and medical applications.
- Research interests
- Distributed actuation and sensing
- Active metamaterials
- Smart material actuators and sensors
- Soft robotics and biomimetic robotics
- P. Motreuil-Ragot, A. Hunt, D. Kasi, B. Brajon, A. van den Maagdenberg, V. Orlova, M. Mastrangeli, P.M. Sarro. “Enabling actuation and sensing in organs-on-chip using electroactive polymers.” In Soft Robotics, IEEE International Conference on (RoboSoft), accepted, IEEE, 2019.
- W.H. MohdIsa, A. Hunt, and S.H. HosseinNia. "Sensing and Self-Sensing Actuation Methods for Ionic Polymer–Metal Composite (IPMC): A Review." Sensors 19, no. 18 (2019): 3967.
- K.K. Baelz, and A. Hunt. “P(VDF-TrFE-CTFE) Actuators with Inkjet Printed Electrodes.” In Control, Mechatronics and Automation (ICCMA), 7th International Conference on, pp. 327-332. IEEE, 2019.
- W.H. MohdIsa, A. Hunt, and S.H. HosseinNia. "Active Sensing Methods of Ionic Polymer Metal Composite (IPMC): Comparative Study in Frequency Domain." In Soft Robotics, 2nd IEEE International Conference on (RoboSoft), pp. 546-551. IEEE, 2019.
- A. Hunt, M. Freriks, L. Sasso, P.M. Esfahani, and S.H. HosseinNia. “IPMC Kirigami: A Distributed Actuation Concept.” In Manipulation, Automation and Robotics at Small Scales (MARSS), International Conference on, pp. 8481176. IEEE, 2018.
- M.A. López, J. Prieto-Arranz, J.E. Traver, A. Hunt, S.H. HosseinNia, I. Tejado, B.M. Vinagre. “Frequency response of IPMC actuators: Physical characterization and identification for control.” Actas de las XXXIX Jornadas de Automática, pp.717-724. 2018.
- Q. Wang, A. Hunt, A. Fritz, M. Lucassen, M. Reeuwijk, D. Sliedregt, O. Armada, J. Steekelenburg, S. Voort, T. Nederkoorn, H. Goosen, S.H. HosseinNia, F. Keulen. “New approach to actuate biomimetic soft robots with smart bending materials: Implementation for an IPMC-driven jellyfish robot.” In Bionic Engineering, 2018 International Youth Conference of (IYCBE2018), pp. 32-34. Frontiers, 2018. (Best paper award).
- A. Hunt, Z. Chen, X. Tan, and M. Kruusmaa. "An integrated electroactive polymer sensor–actuator: design, model-based control, and performance characterization." Smart Materials and Structures 25, no. 3 (2016): 035016.
- A. Hunt, A. Ristolainen, P. Ross, R. Öpik, A. Krumme, and M. Kruusmaa. "Low cost anatomically realistic renal biopsy phantoms for interventional radiology trainees." European Journal of Radiology 82, no. 4 (2013): 594-600.
- R. Öpik, A. Hunt, A. Ristolainen, P. M. Aubin, and M. Kruusmaa. "Development of high fidelity liver and kidney phantom organs for use with robotic surgical systems." In Biomedical Robotics and Biomechatronics (BioRob), 4th IEEE RAS & EMBS International Conference on, pp. 425-430. IEEE, 2012.
- A. Hunt, Z. Chen, X. Tan, and M. Kruusmaa. "Control of an inverted pendulum using an Ionic Polymer-Metal Composite actuator." In Advanced Intelligent Mechatronics (AIM), 2010 IEEE/ASME International Conference on, pp. 163-168. IEEE, 2010.
- A. Hunt, Z. Chen, X. Tan, and M. Kruusmaa. "Feedback control of a coupled IPMC (ionic polymer-metal composite) sensor-actuator." In ASME 2009 Dynamic Systems and Control Conference, pp. 485-491. American Society of Mechanical Engineers, 2009.
- M. Kruusmaa, A. Hunt, A. Punning, M. Anton, and A. Aabloo. "A linked manipulator with ion-polymer metal composite (IPMC) joints for soft-and micromanipulation." In Robotics and Automation, 2008. IEEE International Conference on, pp. 3588-3593. IEEE, 2008.
- A. Hunt, A. Punning, M. Anton, A. Aabloo, and M. Kruusmaa. "A multilink manipulator with IPMC joints." In The 15th International Symposium on: Smart Structures and Materials & Nondestructive Evaluation and Health Monitoring, pp. 69271Z. International Society for Optics and Photonics, 2008.