Can was born in 1980 in Ankara Turkey. He is a materials engineer by training and attained his BSc. and MSc. degrees from Middle East Technical University in Turkey. His research interests extended towards mechanics of materials and more specifically to micro-mechanics during his PhD studies under the supervision of Erik van der Giessen.
He has attained a PhD. degree from the Applied Physics Department of the University of Groningen in 2010 and subsequently joined to the Eindhoven University of Technology as a post-doc researcher for one year. Subsequently, he worked at the University of Cambridge in UK as a post-doctoral research associate for about two and a half years before joining to TU Delft.
"My research interest are concentrated on development of computational tools in the field of mechanics of materials to enhance the understanding of various phenomena in engineering such as plasticity at small scales, creep in superalloys, hydrogen embrittlement and additive manufacturing process."
- Research interests
- Thermo-mechanical modelling of additive manufacturing
- Plasticity at micro scale: Discrete dislocation plasticity
- Creep of superalloys
- Hydrogen embrittlement
- Engineering Mechanics Fundamentals (WB1451)
- Computational Methods Practical
A list of the publications can be found here.
- C. Ayas, V.S. Deshpande, N.A Fleck, Hydrogen embrittlement of a bimaterial, in press for Mechanics of Materials.
- C. Ayas, V.S. Deshpande, N.A Fleck, Hydrogen Embrittlement in High Strength Steels, Journal of the Mechanics and Physics of Solids 63, 80–93, 2014.
- C. Ayas, J.A.W. van Dommelen, V.S. Desphande, Climb-enabled discrete dislocation plasticity, Journal of the Mechanics and Physics of Solids, 62, 113–136, 2014.
- C. Ayas, V.S. Deshpande, M.G.D. Geers, Tensile response of passivated films with climb assisted dislocation glide, Journal of the Mechanics and Physics of Solids 60, 1626–1643, 2012.
- C. Ayas, E. van der Giessen, A continuum framework for grain boundary diffusion in thin film/substrate systems, Journal of Applied Physics 108, 073511, 2010.
- C. Ayas, E. van der Giessen, Stress relaxation in thin film/substrate systems by grain boundary diffusion: a discrete dislocation framework, Modelling and Simulation in Material Science and Engineering 17, 064007, 2009.
- C. Ayas, E. van der Giessen, Dislocation dynamics simulations of the relaxation of intrinsic stress in thin films, Philosophical Magazine 88, 3461–3477, 2008