dr.ir. M. (Marcel) Tichem
Associate professor Mechanical Engineering/Micro and Nano Engineering
Marcel leads a research program on manufacturing at the small length-scale. His interests include micro-assembly, photonic alignment, self-assembly of discrete components and nanomaterials, and nanoparticle patterning. Among key results are micro-fabricated structures and MEMS functions to achieve high precision alignment in integrated photonic systems, and magnetic-driven self-alignment of ultra-thin chips for flexible electronic packages. Currently, he focuses on volume scale-up of manufacturing for 3D, nano-enabled materials and devices, with key applications in micro/nano mechanical and multi-physics metamaterials and nanoparticle-based functionalities.
Marcel leads the Nano Engineering Research Initiative (NERI), which is a collaborative research program aiming to utilize the potential of the small scale for generating breakthroughs for applications. He was a Research Fellow, funded by an EU Marie Curie IEF grant, in the Optical and Semiconductor Devices Group, Imperial College, London, in 2011, to investigate volume methods for nano-particle patterning.
- iMicrofluidics: new generations of hybrid microfluidic systems for extreme precise and low flows. Collaboration with Dr. M.K. Ghatkesar, and Prof. Dr. Joost Lötters (Bronkhorst High-Tech). PhD student G. Özkayar.
- Direct-write manufacturing of nanoparticle-based structures. Collaboration with NTNU and Conpart. PhD student S. Aghajani.
- Design and manufacturing of multi-stable micro-mechanisms. Collaboration with Prof. F. van Keulen. PhD student Y. Zhang.
- Manufacturing for the micro and nano-scale (ME46025, MSc course, responsible teacher)
- Design and production, Design for Assembly, manufacturing process selection (teaching modules in 1st year BSc Mechanical Engineering project teaching)
Recent key publications:
- Zhang, Y., Wang, Q., Tichem, M., Van Keulen, F., Design and characterization of multi-stable mechanical metastructures with level and tilted stable configurations, Extreme Mechanics Letters (2019), 100593
- Wu, K., and M. Tichem, Post-Release Deformation and Motion Control of Photonic Waveguide Beams by Tuneable Electrothermal Actuators in Thick SiO2, Micromachines 2018, 9, 496.
- Peters, T.-J. and M. Tichem, On-chip positionable waveguides for submicrometric photonic alignment, IEEE Journal of Microelectromechanical Systems, 2017, 26(6): 1259-1271.
- Peters, T.-J. and M. Tichem, Fabrication and characterization of suspended beam structures for SiO2 photonic MEMS. IOP Journal of Micromechanics and Microengineering, 2015, 25(10): p. 105003.
- Kuran, E.E. and M. Tichem, Magnetic self-assembly with unique rotational alignment for thin chips. Microelectronic Engineering, 2015. 141: p. 228-233.
- Kuran, E.E., et al., Integration of laser die transfer and magnetic self-assembly for ultra-thin chip placement. IOP Journal of Micromechanics and Microengineering, 2015. 25.
- Tichem, M. and R. R. A. Syms (2012). Nanospray Dielectrophoresis, Nanotechnology, IEEE Transactions on, 11(6): 1259-1266.
- Henneken, V.A., W.P. Sassen, et al. (2008). Two-Dimensional Fiber Positioning and Clamping Device for Product-Internal Microassembly, IEEE Journal of Microelectromechanical Systems, 17(3): 724-734.