Farbod Alijani started a position as Assistant Professor on October 15, 2015 in the Department of Precision and Microsystems Engineering, Faculty 3mE at TU Delft. He was promoted to Associate Professor on April 11, 2019. Farbod was born in Tehran, Iran in 1981.
He received his Msc in 2006 and PhD in 2011 both from Tehran Polytechnic University with honors, specializing in nonlinear vibrations and stability of shell-type structures. During his PhD, he spent one year as a Graduate Research Trainee at McGill University in Canada, and later became a Postdoctoral Scholar in the same university working at Vibrations and Hydrodynamics Laboratory from 2012-2015. Before joining TU Delft, he also spent six months as a Research Associate in the Department of Industrial Engineering at University of Parma in Italy.
Farbod is the recipient of the prestigious European Research Council (ERC) starting grant ENIGMA in 2018 aiming at exploring nonlinear dynamic phenomena of graphene nanomechanical systems , and ERC Proof-of-Concept grant GRAPHFITI in 2020 that aims at using graphene as a platform for measuring the mechanical motion of bacterial cells.
Farbod's research group has a strong track record of disclosing new phenomena and new tools for the study of the nonlinear dynamics of nanomechanical systems including the development of a fast and contactless nonlinear dynamic characterization method for 2D materials, and a method for clarifying microscopic origins of damping in graphene resonators both appeared in Nature Communications. Moreover, his recent contribution to the development of a method for probing the thermoelasticity of carbon nanotubes has appeared in Physical Review Letters.
In June 2019, Farbod became the best lecturer of 2018-2019 at faculty 3mE.
- Nonlinear dynamics
- Reduced-order modeling
- Dynamics of MEMS & NEMS
- Graphene and 2D materials
- Nanomotion detection for biosensing
1. ERC Proof of Concept grant GRAPHFITI, for the development of a biosensing platform comprising graphene to fight antimicrobial resistance (PI: € 150k)
2. RVO thematic technology transfer (TTT) grant for development of a nanomechanical platform for screening the effectiveness of antibiotics (PI: € 25k)
3. NWO- HTSM grant MetaMech, aiming at designing metamaterial complaint mechanisms for vibration suppression together with Dr. Hassan HosseinNia (co-PI: € 867k)
4. ERC starting grant ENIGMA , aiming at exploring nonlinear dynamics in graphene nanomechanical systems (PI: € 1.42M; 2018-2023)
5. 3mE Cohesion project Multi-scale fluid interaction with membranes (co-PI: € 60k;2018-2019)
6. TKI grant iMicrofluidis, aiming at developing an integrated microfluidic sensor and actuator platform (co-PI: € 345k;2018-2022)
7. 3mE Cohesion project NITRO, aiming at nonlinear identification of two-dimensional materials via reduced order modelling (PI: € 60k;2017-2018)
8. 3mE Cohesion project and TUD Health initiative SHELL-TEVAR, aiming at designing compliant shells for Thoracic Endovascular Aortic Aneurysm Repair (PI: € 85k; 2017-2019)
9. TTW-OTP grant A nice tip tap, aiming at developing a nonlinear identification tool for concurrent estimation of tip change, sample elasticity and dissipation in tapping mode atomic force microscopy (Project leader: € 402k; 2017-2021).
- Dr. Aleksandre Japaridze (Supported by the ERC Proof of Concept grant GRAPHFITI)
- Dr. Hadi Arjmandi Tash(Supported by the ERC starting grant ENIGMA)
- Dr. Arthur Givois (Supported by TTW-OTP project A NICE TIP TAP)
- Mr. Abhilash Chandrashekar (Supported by TTW-OTP project A NICE TIP TAP)
- Mr. Ata Keşkekler (Supported by ERC starting grant ENIGMA)
- Mr. Irek Roslon (Supported by ERC starting grant ENIGMA)
- Mr. Xianfeng Chen ( Supported by China Scholarship Council)- co-supervised together with Prof. Peter Steeneken
- Mr. Ali Sarafraz (Supported by ERC starting grant ENIGMA)
- Mr. Kautuk Sinha (supported by German Aerospace centre (DLR))
- Mr. Zichao Li(Supported by China Scholarship Council)- co-supervised together with Prof. Peter Steeneken
- Editorial board member of the International Journal of Non-linear Mechanics.
- Guest Editor of the Special Issue: 4th Canadian Conference on Non-linear Solid Mechanics in the International Journal of Non-linear Mechanics.
- Invited peer reviewer for: Physical Review Applied, Applied Physics Letters, JMEMS, Mechanical Systems and Signal Processing, Journal of Vibration and Control, International Journal of Non-linear Mechanics, Nonlinear Dynamics, Journal of Fluids & Structures, Journal of Sound and Vibration, Journal of Vibrations & Acoustics, International Journal of Mechanical Sciences, Applied Mathematical Modelling, European Journal of Mechanics A/Solids, journal of Structural Stability and Dynamics, Journal of Intelligent Material Systems and structures, and Communications in Nonlinear Science and Numerical Simulations
- Organizer of the mini-symposium on "Micro and nano systems" at International Conference on Nonlinear Solid Mechanics (ICoNSoM) in June 2019 in Rome,Italy.
- Organizer of the Advanced dynamics course for the Engineering Mechanics school of the Netherlands since 2016.
- Co-Organizer of a workshop on "Model based sensing and instrumentation" in the 21th Engineering Mechanics symposium of the Netherlands.
- Co-Organizer of mini-symposium on “Nonlinear systems and phenomena” at the 30th conference on mechanical vibration and noise within ASME IDETC/CIE , August 26-29, Quebec city, Canada.
- Co-Organizer of mini-symposium on “Multiphysics problems in micro and nanosystems” at the 4th international conference on structural nonlinear dynamics and diagnosis (CSNDD), Tangier, June 25-27, 2018, Morroco.
- Co-Organizer of mini-symposium on “Nonlinear systems and phenomena” at the 29th conference on mechanical vibration and noise within ASME IDETC/CIE , August 6-9, Cleveland, Ohio.
- Co-Organizer of mini-symposium on “Fluid-Structure Interaction” at ASME 2015 International Congress & Exposition, November 13-19, Houston, USA.
- Co-Organizerof mini-symposium on “Fluid-Structure Interaction” at ASME 2014 International Congress & Exposition, November 14-20, Montréal, Canada.
- Secretary & Program Chair of the 4th Canadian Conference on Nonlinear solid Mechanics (CanCNSM2013), July 23-26, 2013, Montréal, Canada.
- Co-Chair of mini-symposiums on “Nonlinear Dynamics of Discrete & Continuous Systems” and “Stability & Vibrations of Plates and Shells” within the 4th Canadian Conference on Nonlinear solid Mechanics (CanCNSM2013), July 23-26, 2013, Montréal, Canada.
- Education Chair of the 1st International Conference on Acoustics & Vibration (ISAV2011), December 21-22, 2011, Tehran, Iran.
- Industrial Relations Manager of the 1st International Conference on Acoustics & Vibration (ISAV2011), December 21-22, 2011, Tehran, Iran.
- Keşkekler, A., Shoshani, O., Lee, M., van der Zant, H. S., Steeneken, P. G., & Alijani, F. (2021). Tuning nonlinear damping in graphene nanoresonators by parametric–direct internal resonance. Nature communications, 12(1), 1-7.
- Tepsic, S., Gruber, G., Møller, C. B., Magén, C., Belardinelli, P., Hernández, E. R., Alijani, F., Verlot, P., & Bachtold A.(2021). Interrelation of elasticity and thermal bath in nanotube cantilevers. Physical Review Letters, 126, 175502.
- Chandrashekar, A., Belardinelli, P., Lenci, S., Staufer, U., & Alijani, F. (2021). Mode Coupling in Dynamic Atomic Force Microscopy. Physical Review Applied, 15(2), 024013.
- Roslon, I., Dolleman, R.J., Licona, H., Lee, M., Siskins, M., Lebius , H., Madaub, M., Schleberger, M., Alijani, F., van der Zant, H.S.J., Steeneken P.G. (2020). High-frequency gas effusion through nanopores in suspended graphene. Nature Communications 11, 6025.
- Chen, X., Keşkekler, A., Alijani, F., Steeneken, P.G. (2020). Rigid body dynamics of diamagnetically levitating graphite resonators. Applied Physics Letters, 116, 243505.
- Sajadi, B., Wahls, S., van Hemert, S., Belardinelli, P., Steeneken, P. G., & Alijani, F. (2019). Nonlinear dynamic identification of graphene’s elastic modulus via reduced order modeling of atomistic simulations. Journal of the Mechanics and Physics of Solids, 122, 161-176.
- Sajadi, B., van Hemert, S., Arash, B., Belardinelli, P., Steeneken, P.G., & Alijani, F. (2018). Size- and temperature-dependent bending rigidity of graphene using modal analysis. Carbon, 139, 334-341.
- Dolleman, R. J., Houri, S., Chandrashekar, A., Alijani, F., van der Zant, H. S., & Steeneken, P. G. (2018). Opto-thermally excited multimode parametric resonance in graphene membranes. Scientific Reports, 8(1), 9366.
- Davidovikj, D., Alijani, F., Cartamil-Bueno, S. J., Zant, H. S. J., Amabili, M., & Steeneken, P. G. (2017). Nonlinear dynamic characterization of two-dimensional materials. Nature Communications, 8(1), 1253.
- Rull Trinidad, E., Gribnau, T. W., Belardinelli, P., Staufer, U., & Alijani, F. (2017). Nonlinear dynamics for estimating the tip radius in atomic force microscopy. Applied Physics Letters, 111(12), 123105.
- Sajadi, B., Alijani, F., Davidovikj, D., Goosen, J., Steeneken, P. G., & van Keulen, F. (2017). Experimental characterization of graphene by electrostatic resonance frequency tuning. Journal of Applied Physics, 122(23), 234302.
- Keyvani, A., Alijani, F., Sadeghian, H., Maturova, K., Goosen, H., & van Keulen, F. (2017). Chaos: The speed limiting phenomenon in dynamic atomic force microscopy. Journal of Applied Physics, 122(22), 224306.
- Alijani, F., Amabili, M., Balasubramanian, P., Carra, S., Ferrari, G., & Garziera, R. (2016). Damping for large-amplitude vibrations of plates and curved panels, Part 1: Modeling and experiments. International Journal of Non-Linear Mechanics, 85, 23-40