Farbod Alijani started a position as Assistant Professor on October 15, 2015 in the Department of Precision and Microsystems Engineering, Faculty 3mE at TU Delft. He was promoted to Associate Professor on April 11, 2019. Farbod was born in Tehran, Iran in 1981.
He received his Msc in 2006 and PhD in 2011 both from Tehran Polytechnic University with honors, specializing in nonlinear vibrations and stability of shell-type structures. During his PhD, he spent one year as a Graduate Research Trainee at McGill University in Canada, and later became a Postdoctoral Scholar in the same university working at Vibrations and Hydrodynamics Laboratory from 2012-2015. Before joining TU Delft, he also spent six months as a Research Associate in the Department of Industrial Engineering at University of Parma in Italy.
In 2018, Farbod received the prestigious European Research Council (ERC) starting grant for his project ENIGMA (1.42 MEUR) that aims at exploring and exploiting nonlinear dynamic phenomena in graphene nanomechanical systems.
Farbod has developed the first nonlinear dynamic methodology for characterization of 2D materials.His work on nonlinear dynamics of 2D materials has been published in Nature Communications and received a Science Highlight from American Institute of Physics.
In June 2019, Farbod became best lecturer of 2018-2019 at faculty 3mE.
- Research Interests
- Nonlinear dynamics
- Experimental modal analysis
- Nonlinear identification
- Reduced-order modeling
- Dynamics of MEMS & NEMS
- Fluid-Structure Interactions
- Graphene and 2D materials
- Research Projects
1. NWO- HTSM grant MetaMech, aiming at designing metamaterial complaint mechanisms for vibration suppression together with Dr. Hassan HosseinNia (co-PI: € 867k)
2. ERC starting grant ENIGMA , aiming at exploring nonlinear dynamics in graphene nanomechanical systems (PI: € 1.42M; 2018-2023)
3. 3mE Cohesion project Multi-scale fluid interaction with membranes (co-PI: € 60k;2018-2019)
4. TKI grant iMicrofluidis, aiming at developing an integrated microfluidic sensor and actuator platform (co-PI: € 345k;2018-2022)
5. 3mE Cohesion project NITRO, aiming at nonlinear identification of two-dimensional materials via reduced order modelling (PI: € 60k;2017-2018)
6. 3mE Cohesion project and TUD Health initiative SHELL-TEVAR, aiming at designing compliant shells for Thoracic Endovascular Aortic Aneurysm Repair (PI: € 85k; 2017-2019)
7. TTW-OTP grant A nice tip tap, aiming at developing a nonlinear identification tool for concurrent estimation of tip change, sample elasticity and dissipation in tapping mode atomic force microscopy (Project leader: € 402k; 2017-2021).
- The Team
- Dr. Hadi Arjmandi Tash(Supported by ERC starting grant ENIGMA)
- Mr. Abhilash Chandrashekar (Supported by TTW-OTP project A NICE TIP TAP)
- Mr. Ata Keşkekler (Supported by ERC starting grant ENIGMA)
- Mr. Irek Roslon (Supported by ERC starting grant ENIGMA)
- Mr. Xianfeng (Vincent) Chen ( Supported by China Scholarship Council)
- Mr. Ali Sarafraz (Supported by ERC starting grant ENIGMA)
- Mr. Kautuk Sinha (PhD at DLR- start date: September 2020)
- Mr. Jelte van til (Supported by NWO project MetaMech , co-supervised together with Dr. Hassan HosseinNia
- Teaching Activites
- Professional Activities
- Editorial board member of the International Journal of Non-linear Mechanics.
- Guest Editor of the Special Issue: 4th Canadian Conference on Non-linear Solid Mechanics in the International Journal of Non-linear Mechanics.
- Invited peer reviewer for: Physical Review Applied, Applied Physics Letters, JMEMS, Mechanical Systems and Signal Processing, Journal of Vibration and Control, International Journal of Non-linear Mechanics, Nonlinear Dynamics, Journal of Fluids & Structures, Journal of Sound and Vibration, Journal of Vibrations & Acoustics, International Journal of Mechanical Sciences, Applied Mathematical Modelling, European Journal of Mechanics A/Solids, journal of Structural Stability and Dynamics, Journal of Intelligent Material Systems and structures, and Communications in Nonlinear Science and Numerical Simulations
- Organizer of the mini-symposium on "Micro and nano systems" at International Conference on Nonlinear Solid Mechanics (ICoNSoM) in June 2019 in Rome,Italy.
- Organizer of the Advanced dynamics course for the Engineering Mechanics school of the Netherlands since 2016.
- Co-Organizer of a workshop on "Model based sensing and instrumentation" in the 21th Engineering Mechanics symposium of the Netherlands.
- Co-Organizer of mini-symposium on “Nonlinear systems and phenomena” at the 30th conference on mechanical vibration and noise within ASME IDETC/CIE , August 26-29, Quebec city, Canada.
- Co-Organizer of mini-symposium on “Multiphysics problems in micro and nanosystems” at the 4th international conference on structural nonlinear dynamics and diagnosis (CSNDD), Tangier, June 25-27, 2018, Morroco.
- Co-Organizer of mini-symposium on “Nonlinear systems and phenomena” at the 29th conference on mechanical vibration and noise within ASME IDETC/CIE , August 6-9, Cleveland, Ohio.
- Co-Organizer of mini-symposium on “Fluid-Structure Interaction” at ASME 2015 International Congress & Exposition, November 13-19, Houston, USA.
- Co-Organizerof mini-symposium on “Fluid-Structure Interaction” at ASME 2014 International Congress & Exposition, November 14-20, Montréal, Canada.
- Secretary & Program Chair of the 4th Canadian Conference on Nonlinear solid Mechanics (CanCNSM2013), July 23-26, 2013, Montréal, Canada.
- Co-Chair of mini-symposiums on “Nonlinear Dynamics of Discrete & Continuous Systems” and “Stability & Vibrations of Plates and Shells” within the 4th Canadian Conference on Nonlinear solid Mechanics (CanCNSM2013), July 23-26, 2013, Montréal, Canada.
- Education Chair of the 1st International Conference on Acoustics & Vibration (ISAV2011), December 21-22, 2011, Tehran, Iran.
- Industrial Relations Manager of the 1st International Conference on Acoustics & Vibration (ISAV2011), December 21-22, 2011, Tehran, Iran.
- Chen, X., Keşkekler, A., Alijani, F., Steeneken, P.G. (2020). Rigid body dynamics of diamagnetically levitating graphite resonators. Applied Physics Letters, 116, 243505.
- Schreurs, KWA., Radaelli, G., Alijani, F. (2020). The design of a compliant shape preserving ring. Mechanism and Machine Theory, 151, 103918.
- Sinha, K., Sing, N.K., Abdalla, M.M., De Breuker, R., Alijani, F. (2020). A momentum subspace method for the model-order reduction in nonlinear structural dynamics: Theory and experiments. International Journal of Non-linear Mechanics, 119, 103314.
- Sajadi, B., Wahls, S., van Hemert, S., Belardinelli, P., Steeneken, P. G., & Alijani, F. (2019). Nonlinear dynamic identification of graphene’s elastic modulus via reduced order modeling of atomistic simulations. Journal of the Mechanics and Physics of Solids, 122, 161-176.
- van Til, J., Alijani, F., Voormeeren, S. N., & Lacarbonara, W. (2019). Frequency domain modeling of nonlinear end stop behavior in Tuned Mass Damper systems under single-and multi-harmonic excitations. Journal of Sound and Vibration, 438, 139-152.
- Belardinelli, P., Sajadi B., Lenci, S., & Alijani, F. (2019). Global dynamics and integrity of a micro-plate pressure sensor. Communications in Nonlinear Science and Numerical Simulation, 69, 432-444.
- Belardinelli, P., Hauzer, L. M. F. R., Šiškins, M., Ghatkesar, M. K., & Alijani, F. (2018). Modal analysis for density and anisotropic elasticity identification of adsorbates on microcantilevers. Applied Physics Letters, 113(14), 143102.
- Sajadi, B., van Hemert, S., Arash, B., Belardinelli, P., Steeneken, P.G., & Alijani, F. (2018). Size- and temperature-dependent bending rigidity of graphene using modal analysis. Carbon, 139, 334-341.
- Dolleman, R. J., Houri, S., Chandrashekar, A., Alijani, F., van der Zant, H. S., & Steeneken, P. G. (2018). Opto-thermally excited multimode parametric resonance in graphene membranes. Scientific Reports, 8(1), 9366.
- Marinangeli, L., Alijani, F., & HosseinNia, S. H. (2018). Fractional-order positive position feedback compensator for active vibration control of a smart composite plate. Journal of Sound and Vibration, 412, 1-16.
- Sajadi, B., Alijani, F., Goosen, H., & van Keulen, F. (2018). Effect of pressure on nonlinear dynamics and instability of electrically actuated circular micro-plates. Nonlinear Dynamics, 91(4), 2157-2170.
- Davidovikj, D., Alijani, F., Cartamil-Bueno, S. J., Zant, H. S. J., Amabili, M., & Steeneken, P. G. (2017). Nonlinear dynamic characterization of two-dimensional materials. Nature Communications, 8(1), 1253.
- Rull Trinidad, E., Gribnau, T. W., Belardinelli, P., Staufer, U., & Alijani, F. (2017). Nonlinear dynamics for estimating the tip radius in atomic force microscopy. Applied Physics Letters, 111(12), 123105.
- Belardinelli, P., Ghatkesar, M. K., Staufer, U., & Alijani, F. (2017). Linear and non-linear vibrations of fluid-filled hollow microcantilevers interacting with small particles. International Journal of Non-Linear Mechanics, 93, 30-40.
- Sajadi, B., Alijani, F., Davidovikj, D., Goosen, J., Steeneken, P. G., & van Keulen, F. (2017). Experimental characterization of graphene by electrostatic resonance frequency tuning. Journal of Applied Physics, 122(23), 234302.
- Keyvani, A., Alijani, F., Sadeghian, H., Maturova, K., Goosen, H., & van Keulen, F. (2017). Chaos: The speed limiting phenomenon in dynamic atomic force microscopy. Journal of Applied Physics, 122(22), 224306.
- Missoum, S., Lacaze, S., Amabili, M., & Alijani, F. (2017). Identification of material properties of composite sandwich panels under geometric uncertainty. Composite Structures, 179, 695-704.
- Amabili, M., Alijani, F., & Delannoy, J. (2016). Damping for large-amplitude vibrations of plates and curved panels, part 2: Identification and comparisons. International Journal of Non-Linear Mechanics, 85, 226-240.
- Alijani, F., Amabili, M., Balasubramanian, P., Carra, S., Ferrari, G., & Garziera, R. (2016). Damping for large-amplitude vibrations of plates and curved panels, Part 1: Modeling and experiments. International Journal of Non-Linear Mechanics, 85, 23-40