R.J.F. (Roy) Bijster (B.Sc. Aerospace Engineering 2011, M.Sc. Aerospace Engineering 2014) is pursuing a Ph.D. degree in Mechanical Engineering at the department of Precision and Microsystems Engineering of Delft University of Technology.
Roy got first acquainted with the field of world of micro- and nanomechanics at the Netherlands Organisation for Applied Scientific Research TNO, where he worked on the calibration and characterization of atomic force microscopy probes. With great affinity for the nitty-gritty he dropped more than twelve orders of magnitude and exchanged the very large of interplanetary travel for the very small of the nanometer regime.
In close collaboration with the Nano-Optomechatronic-Instrumentation (NOMI) group of the Optomechatronics department of TNO, Roy is now working on bringing optical near-field technologies for inspection, metrology and lithography from the laboratory to industrial application.
This requires an instrumentation platform that can position the required near-field optical elements at extreme proximity to the sample fast and accurately. Towards realizing such an instrument, Roy is developing a sensor platform that measures these nanometer distances by means of short-range heat transfer. Currently there are two international patents pending related to this research.
- Electromagnetic near-field effects
- Electrostatic breakdown
- Nanoscale interactions, such as Casimir and Van der Waals forces, capillary condensation
- Micro- and nanoscale physics
- Microscopy and Inspection technologies
- Optical metamaterials
- Bijster, R.J.F., Sadeghian, H & Van Keulen, F, Non-contact distance measurement and profilometry using thermal near-field radiation towards a high resolution inspection and metrology solution, Proc. SPIE 9778, Metrology, Inspection, and Process Control for Microlithography XXX, 97780H (March 8, 2016)
- Bijster, R. J. F., de Vreugd, J. & Sadeghian, H. Phase lag deduced information in photo-thermal actuation for nano-mechanical systems characterization. Appl. Phys. Lett. 105, 073109 (2014).
- Bijster, R. J. F. & Zandbergen, B. T. C. Integration of a Variable Turn-Density Coil Actuator in a Micropropulsion Thrust Stand. in Proc. Sp. Propuls. 2014 (2014).
- Bijster, R., Vreugd, J. de & Sadeghian, H. Automatic Alignment of Optical Beam Deflection Systems. in Proc. 2013 Nanomechanical Sens. Work. (2013).
- Bijster, R., Vreugd, J. de & Sadeghian, H. Dynamic Characterization of Bi-material Cantilevers. in SENSORDEVICES 2013 Fourth Int. Conf. Sens. Device Technol. Appl. (eds. Yurish, S. & Pacull, F.) 1–8 (IARIA, 2013).