Gürhan is a PhD candidate of Micro and Nano Engineering research group at Delft University of Technology since March 2019.
He obtained his B.Sc. (Hons.) degree in Biomedical Engineering (with full scholarship) from Baskent University Ankara, Turkey, in 2009 and his M.Sc. (Hons.) degree in Biomedical Engineering from Middle East Technical University (METU), Ankara, Turkey, in 2015. He worked as a Research Assistant at METU, between 2013 and 2015. In 2015, he worked as an R&D Engineer at a startup company named as Mikro Biyosistemler Inc. (now Cellsway), Ankara, Turkey, between 2015 and 2019.
His research activities focused on miniaturization of peripheral microfluidic components to develop a versatile, portable, integrated microfluidic system. The project he is involved in is the iMicrofluidics Project which is a close collaboration between TU Delft and industry.
- Research Interests
- Microfluidics, Lab-on-a-chip
- Microfluidic actuators
- BioMEMS, 3D Printing
- Dielectrophoresis, hydrodynamic particle sorting
Current Master Students:
- Henrie Kramer: “Design and implementation of a microfluidic multiplexer
Past Master Students:
- Haoyu Zhu: “Portable and Integrated Organ-On-Chip Platform Using Off-the-shelf Components”, cum laude, 2020.
- Arun Gunda: “A Proportionally Controlled Microvalve using a Piezoelectric Unimorph Microactuator”, cum laude, 2019.
Related to PhD project:
- H. Zhu, G. Özkayar, J. Lötters, M. Tichem, and M.K. Ghatkesar, “Portable and integrated microfluidic flow control platform for organ-on-chip applications”, international MicroNanoConference2020, December 3-4, 2020, The Netherlands.
- Gunda, A.; Özkayar, G.; Tichem, M.; Ghatkesar, M.K. Proportional Microvalve Using a Unimorph Piezoelectric Microactuator. Micromachines 2020, 11, 130. https://doi.org/10.3390/mi11020130
- A. Gunda, G. Özkayar, M. Tichem, and M.K. Ghatkesar, “Proportional microvalve using a PZT plate microactuator”, Proceedings of the 4th Conference On MicroFluidic Handling Systems, pp. 45-48, 2-4 October 2019, Enschede, The Netherlands. https://www.utwente.nl/en/eemcs/mfhs2019/mfhs2019-proceedings.pdf.
- Özkayar, G.; Mutlu, E.; Şahin, Ş.; Demircan Yalçın, Y.; Töral, T.; Külah, H.; Yildirim, E.; Zorlu, Ö.; Özgür, E. A Novel Microfluidic Method Utilizing a Hydrofoil Structure to Improve Circulating Tumor Cell Enrichment: Design and Analytical Validation. Micromachines 2020, 11, 981. https://doi.org/10.3390/mi11110981
- G. Özkayar, S. Sukas, T. B. Töral, E. Yıldırım, Ö. Zorlu, and H. Külah, "A combinational approach for determining the channel dimensions and separation wall location in a spiral microchannel", Liquid Biopsy for Cancer - Gordon Research Seminar & Conference, August 4-5 & 5-10, 2018, Mount Holyoke College, South Hadley, MA, USA (seminar best poster award).
- G Özkayar, YD Yalçın, E Özgür, U Gündüz, H Külah, A High-throughput Microfluidic Rare Cell Enrichment System Based on Dielectrophoresis and Filtering, Procedia technology 27, 177-178, 2017. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.protcy.2017.04.076
- G. Özkayar, Y. Demircan Yalçın, E. Özgür, U. Gündüz, and H. Külah, "A high-throughput microfluidic rare cell enrichment system based on dielectrophoresis and filtering", 26th Anniversary World Congress on Biosensors, May 25-27, 2016, Gothenburg, SWEDEN.
- Y. Demircan Yalçın, G. Özkayar, E. Özgür, U. Gündüz, and H. Külah, "A DEP-Based Lab-On-A-Chip System For The Detection Of Multidrug Resistance In K562 Leukemia Cells", Hilton Head Workshop 2016: A Solid-State Sensors, Actuators and Microsystems Workshop, June 5-9, 2016, Hilton Head Island, USA (equally contribution).
- Z. Çağlayan, Y. Demircan Yalçın, G. Özkayar, D. C. Kahraman, R. Çetin Atalay, E. Özgür, and H. Külah, “Dielectrophoretic Spectra of CD133+/EpCAM+ HUH7 Cancer Stem Cells and HUH7 Cancer Cells”, Dielectrophoresis 2016, July 13-15, 2016, MIT, USA.
- Z. Çağlayan, Y. Demircan Yalçın, G. Özkayar, E. Özgür, and H. Külah, “Dielectrophoretic Spectra of Polymorphonuclear White Blood Cells”, 3rd International Congress on Biosensors, Hacettepe University, October 5-7, 2016, Ankara, TURKEY.
- G. Özkayar, Y. Demircan, E. Özgür, U. Gündüz, H. Külah, “Enrichment of K562 Human Leukemia Cells From Diluted Whole Blood by Using Dielectrophoresis,” 2nd International Congress on Biosensors, June 10-12, 2015, İzmir, TURKEY.