Phuc Vuong is a PhD candidate of Mechatronic System Design at Delft University of Technology. He has obtained his M.Sc. degree in Korea with the research topic of investigating the performance of elastomer actuator. In TU Delft, next to conducting his research, he is also a daily coacher of several Masters students with projects relevant to air-based actuation systems.
- Research Interests
My research interest is in mechatronic systems focusing on innovative actuation systems and motion control. Currently my research topic is “Air-based contact-less actuation system for thin substrates: the concept of using a controlled deformable surface”. This new technique is used to handle thin substrates without mechanical contact in order to avoid the possibility of being broken and contaminated. A contactless actuation system uses viscous traction force of an air film. It works comparatively to a conventional vacuum preloaded air bearing. It is constructed to have a surface that contains multiple inlets connected to a high supply pressure source and multiple outlets connected to a sub-ambient exhaust pressure sink. The additional motor function is obtained by modifying the bearing surface into an array of actuator cells such that the total viscous traction force resulted from all the local air flows is non-zero.
- Education and Employment
- M.Sc. Mechatronics (June 2011), Advisor: Prof. Hyouk Ryeol Choi, School of Mechanical Engineering, Sungkyunkwan University, South Korea.
- B.Sc. Mechatronics (March 2007) Ho Chi Minh University of Technoloty, Vietnam.
- Member of the winning team in the EUSPEN challenge 2013, Denmark
- Member of the team awarded “The most creative robot design” in Vietnamese national Robot contest 2007
Vuong Hong Phuc, Ron van Ostayen, Robert Munnig Schmidt, An apparatus for carrying and transporting a product, N2009764 (2014-06-08)
- P.H. Vuong, R.A.J. van Ostayen, and R.H. Munnig Schmidt. Using deformable surface for thin substrate transport and positioning system: Initial design and preliminary results. In Proc. of the 14th EUSPEN International Conference, volume 2, pages 283–286, Dubrovnik, 2014.
- P.H. Vuong, R.A.J. van Ostayen, and R.H. Munnig Schmidt. Deformable surface for a contact-less actuation system. In Proceedings - ASPE 2013 Spring Topical Meeting MIT Laboratory for Manufacturing and Productivity Annual Summit: Precision Control for Advanced Manufacturing Systems, volume 55, pages 49–53, Boston, 2013.