Ven, Emiel van de
Emiel van de Ven was born in Grubbenvorst in 1991. After secondary school he studied mechanical engineering at the TU Delft, where he graduated in 2014 on the topic "Topology optimization for Transient Thermal Mechanical Systems". With already some topology optimization knowledge on hand, he started his PhD "Topology optimization for additive manufacturing with process constraints" in collaboration with the Dutch Aerospace Centre.
His current project "Topology optimization for additive manufacturing with process constraints" aims to incorporate additive manufacturing constraints into topology optimization. On the one hand, simple design rules will be incorporated, such as the overhang constraint. An efficient algorithm will be developed that identifies overhang and is able to suppress it. On the other hand, a more complex process simulation will be taken into the loop to account for heat accumulation and residual stresses. This will result in a topology optimization scheme whose results can be printed with minimal pre- and post-processing, saving material and labor costs.
- Topology Optimization
- Additive manufacturing
- Overhang constraints
- Front propagation
- Manifold optimization for additive manufacturing
- Topology influence on deformations during additive manufacturing
- High performance computing
- van de Ven E, Maas R, Ayas C, Langelaar M, van Keulen F (2018) Continuous front propagation-based overhang control for topology optimization with additive manufacturing. Structural and Multidisciplinary Optimization, https://doi.org/10.1007/s00158-017-1880-4
- van de Ven E., Ayas C., Langelaar M., Maas R., van Keulen F. (2018) A PDE-Based Approach to Constrain the Minimum Overhang Angle in Topology Optimization for Additive Manufacturing. In: Schumacher A., Vietor T., Fiebig S., Bletzinger KU., Maute K. (eds) Advances in Structural and Multidisciplinary Optimization. WCSMO 2017. Springer, Cham
- Emiel van de Ven, Evert Hooijkamp, Matthijs Langelaar, Fred van Keulen, Topology optimization of a transient thermo-mechanical problem using material penalization., Advances in Structural and Multidisciplinary Optimization - Proceedings of the 11th World Congress on Structural and Multidisciplinary Optimization, Qing Li, Grant P. Steven and Zhongpu (Leo) Zhang (Eds), page 316-321, International Society for Structural and Multidisciplinary Optimization (ISSMO), Sydney, Australia, 7-12 June 2015