Prof.dr.ir. A. (Fred) van Keulen
Prof.dr. Fred van Keulen is the chair of the Structural Optimization and Mechanics (SOM) research section. SOM develops ways to enhance and automate the conventional design process using computational modelling and optimization techniques. These techniques allow designers to confidently predict the performance of a complex design. Given a set of boundary conditions, whether geometrical or in terms of structural properties or material usage, they can even automatically design structures through a sequence of calculations, each one getting closer to an optimal design. The continual increase in computer power offers the opportunity of numerical calculations making a difference in increasingly complex design challenges.
Mechanics and Optimization
- Topology Optimization of Microreactors -- PhD project of Floris van Kempen
- Evolutionary Fluid-Structural Optimization -- Exchange project of Renato Picelli Sanches
- Robust design optimization for integrated photonic systems -- PhD project of Samee ur Rehman
- Integrated topology optimization of controlled structures -- Postdoc project of Gijs van der Veen
- Stress-based topology optimization -- PhD project of Alex Verbart
- Design and optimize the FWMAV wing -- PhD project of Qi Wang
- Control of Resonant Compliant Systems -- PhD project of Hugo Peters
- Multi-physical interactions in MEMS -- PhD project of Saputra
- Structural optimization techniques
- Fundamentals of micro- and nanosystems
- Design of smart structures
A list of the publications can be found here.