Precision Control for Flexible Mechatronic Systems
Ali Ahmadi Dasterjdi (PhD), Dr. Niranjan Saikumar (PD)
Dr. Hassan HosseinNia, Prof. dr. ir. Just Herder
The objective of this project is to develop a new class of nonlinear controllers for precision motion control applications which will enable the Dutch high tech industry to push the boundaries of control performance. Increasing demands on bandwidth, precision and robustness cannot be met with industry standard linear controllers. However, most existing nonlinear controllers are not favoured due to their complexity. This project envisions to bridge the gap between nonlinear concepts in academic research and industry standards. One such nonlinear technique considered is ‘Reset control’ which allows for improved performance. However, this leads to new challenges in design and analysis. Additionally nonlinearities also introduce unwanted elements which can degrade performance in some areas which also need to be addressed. We will develop industry standard nonlinear controllers with simple design techniques, methods for frequency domain analysis and solutions to overcome problems introduced by nonlinearity.
This figure shows improvement in precision and tracking seen with one of the designed advanced controllers
- AA Dastjerdi, A Astolfi, SH HosseinNia, A Frequency-Domain Stability Method for Reset Systems, 59th IEEE Conference on Decision and Control, 2020.
- AA Dastjerdi, A Astolfi, N Saikumar, N Karbasizadeh, D Valerio, Closed-Loop Frequency Analysis of Reset Control Systems
- AA Dastjerdi, SH Hosseinnia, A Frequency-Domain Tuning Method for a Class of Reset Control Systems, IEEE Access 9, 40950-40962, 2021.
- N Karbasizadeh, N Saikumar, SH HosseinNia, Fractional-order single state reset element, Nonlinear Dynamics, 1-15, 2021.
- Erdi Akyuz, Niranjan Saikumar, S. Hassan HosseinNia, Reset Control for Vibration Isolation, 8th IFAC Symposium on Mechatronic Systems (MECHATRONICS 2019), Vienna, Austria.
- Ali Ahmadi Dastejerdi, Niranjan Saikumar, S. Hassan HosseinNia, Linear fractional order control: A survey, Annual review in control, 2019.
- Niranjan Saikumar, Rahul Kumar Sinha, S. Hassan HosseinNia, Constant in gain Lead in phase' element - Application in precision motion control, IEEE/ASME transaction in Mechatronics, 2019.
- Linda Chen, Niranjan Saikumar, S. Hassan HosseinNia, Development of Robust Fractional order Reset Control, IEEE transaction in control system technology, 2019.
- Niranjan Saikumar, Rahul Kumar Sinha, S. Hassan HosseinNia, Resetting Disturbance Observers with application in Hysteresis Compensation of Piezo-Actuators, Control Engineering Practice, 2019.
- Ali Ahmadi Dastejerdi, Niranjan Saikumar, S. Hassan HosseinNia, Tuning Guidelines for Fractional Order PID controllers: Rules of thumb, Mechatronics, 2018.
- Arun Palanikumar, Niranjan Saikumar, S. Hassan HosseinNia, No More Differentiator in PID: Development of Nonlinear Lead for Precision Mechatronics, European Control Conference, Cyprus, 2018.
- Linda Chen, Niranjan Saikumar, Simone Baldi, S. Hassan HosseinNia Beyond the Waterbed Effect: Development of Fractional Order CRONE Control with Non-Linear Reset, American Control Conference, USA, 2018.