My research focuses on the development of surface-engineered materials for micro engineering, sensors and electrochemistry. In particular, I work on the synthesis, characterization and application of synthetic diamond and other carbon materials, including thin films of diamond, diamond nanoparticles, carbon nanotubes, graphene and amorphous carbons. In my work, I try to link the branches applied physics and chemistry with materials science to develop innovative materials for emerging engineering applications. In my team, we currently focus on modified B-doped diamond electrodes for energy technology, waste water treatment and sensing. Chemical vapor deposition (CVD) and complementary cleanroom/microfabrication techniques are used to synthesize and functionalize our electrodes. In addition, I am interested in the tribology (friction, wear and adhesion) of carbon-based hard coatings and surfaces, and the use of carbon nanomaterials as composite reinforcements and catalyst supports. I am also active in the development of nanostructured materials, including nanoporous anodic aluminum oxide and metal (oxide) nanowires, by using electrochemical manufacturing methods.
- MS4111 Thin Film Materials
- WB2303-13 Electronics and Measurement
- ME1612-10 Intro to Nanoscience and Technology
- WB5452-14 Intro lab PME
- WBTP303 BSc onderzoekproject (BEP-coordinator of Dept. PME)
- Solvent-free oxidation of 1-phenylethanol catalysed by gold nanoparticles supported on carbon powder materials, S.A.C. Carabineiro, A.P.C. Ribeiro, J.G. Buijnsters, M. Avalos-Borja, A.J.L. Pombeiro, J.L. Figueiredo, L.M.D.R.S. Martins,catalysis Today (2019), doi.org/10.1016/j.cattod.2019.06.041.
- Template-assisted bottom-up growth of nanocrystalline diamond micropillar arrays, A.F. Sartori, B.H.L. Overes, P. Fanzio, M. Tsigkourakos, L. Sasso, J.G. Buijnsters, Diamond and Related Materials 95 (2019) 20-27.
- Inkjet-printed high-Q diamond resonators,A.F. Sartori, P. Belardinelli, R.J. Dolleman, P.G. Steeneken, M.K. Ghatkesar, J.G. Buijnsters, Small 15 (2019) 1803774.
- Laser-induced periodic surface structures (LIPSS) on heavily boron-doped diamond for electrode applications, A.F. Sartori, S. Orlando, A. Bellucci, D.M. Trucchi, S. Abrahami, T. Boehme, T. Hantschel, W. Vandervorst, J.G. Buijnsters, ACS Appl. Mater. Interfaces 10 (2018) 43236-43251.
- Photocatalytic activity of functionalized nanodiamond-TiO2 composites towards water pollutants degradation under UV/Vis irradiation, L.M. Pastrana-Martínez, S. Morales-Torres, S.A.C. Carabineiro, J.G. Buijnsters, J.L. Figueiredo, A.M.T. Silva, J.L. Faria, Applied Surface Science 458 (2018) 839-848.
- Heterogenised C-scorpionate iron(II) complex on nanostructured carbon materials as recyclable catalysts for microwave-assisted oxidation reactions, L.M.D.R.S. Martins, S.A.C. Carabineiro, A.P.C. Ribeiro, Armando J.L. Pombeiro, J.G. Buijnsters, J.L. Figueiredo, ChemCatChem 10 (2018) 1821-1828.
- Mesoscopic physical removal of material using sliding nano-diamond contacts, U. Celano, F.-C. Hsia, D. Vanhaeren, K. Paredis, T.E.M. Nordling, J.G. Buijnsters, T. Hantschel, W. Vandervorst, Sci. Rep. 8 (2018) 2994.
- Fabrication of copper nanowires via electrodeposition in anodic aluminum oxide templates formed by combined hard anodizing and electrochemical barrier layer thinning, W.J. Stepniowski, M. Moneta, K. Karczewski, M. Michalska-Domanska, T. Czujko, J.M.C. Mol, J.G. Buijnsters, J. Electroanal. Chem. 809 (2018) 59-66.
- High-performance graphene-based carbon nanofiller/polymer composites for piezoresistive sensor applications, P. Costa, J. Nunes-Pereira, J. Oliveira, J. Silva, J. Agostinho Moreira, S.A.C. Carabineiro, J.G. Buijnsters, S. Lanceros-Mendez, Compos. Sci. Technol. 153 (2017) 241-252.
- A guide to and review of the use of multiwavelength Raman spectroscopy for characterizing defective aromatic carbon solids: from graphene to amorphous carbons, A. Merlen, J.G. Buijnsters, C. Pardanaud, Coatings 7 (2017) 153.
- Morphology and photoluminescence of nanostructured oxides grown by copper passivation in aqueous potassium hydroxide solution, W.J. Stepniowski, S. Stojadinović, R. Vasilić, N. Tadić, K. Karczewski, S.T. Abrahami, J.G. Buijnsters, J.M.C. Mol, Mater. Lett. 198 (2017) 89-92.
- Numerical modelling and experimental validation of debonding and heat transfer of carbon fiber reinforced composite under reciprocating sliding, H. Dhieb, S.A. Tabatabaei, G. Gordeev, J.G. Buijnsters, J.P. Celis, Compos. Part B: Eng. 114 (2017) 432-444.
- Nanodiamonds/poly(vinylidene fluoride) composites for tissue engineering applications, J. Nunes-Pereira, A.R. Silva, C. Ribeiro, S.A.C. Carabineiro, J.G. Buijnsters, S. Lanceros-Méndez, Compos. Part B: Eng. 111 (2017) 37-44.
- Effect of boron doping on the wear behavior of the growth and nucleation surfaces of micro and nanocrystalline diamond films, J.G. Buijnsters, M. Tsigkourakos, T. Hantschel, F.O.V. Gomes, T. Nuyten, P. Favia, H. Bender, K. Arstila, J.P. Celis, W. Vandervorst, ACS Appl. Mater. Interfaces 8 (2016) 26381-26391.
- Oxidovanadium(V) complexes anchored on carbon materials as catalysts for the oxidation of 1-phenylethanol, M. Sutradhar, L.M.D.R.S. Martins, S.A.C. Carabineiro, M.F.C. Guedes da Silva, J.G. Buijnsters, J.L. Figueiredo, A.J.L. Pombeiro, ChemCatChem 8 (2016) 2254-2266.
- Effect of relative humidity and full immersion in water on friction, wear and debonding of unidirectional carbon fiber reinforced epoxy under reciprocating sliding, H. Dhieb, J.G. Buijnsters, K. Elleuch, J.P. Celis,Compos. Part B: Eng. 88 (2016) 240-252.
- Growth dynamics of nanocrystalline diamond films produced by microwave plasma enhanced chemical vapor deposition in methane/hydrogen/air mixture: Scaling analysis of surface morphology, V. Podgursky, A. Bogatov, V. Sedov, I. Sildos, A. Mere, M. Viljus, J.G. Buijnsters, V. Ralchenko, Diamond Relat. Mater. 58 (2015) 172-179.
- Nanodiamond-TiO2 composites for photocatalytic degradation of microcystin-LA in aqueous solutions under simulated solar light, M.J. Sampaio, L.M. Pastrana-Martínez, A.M.T. Silva, J.G. Buijnsters, C. Han, C.G. Silva, S.A.C. Carabineiro, D.D. Dionysiou, J.L. Faria, RSC Advances 5 (2015) 58363-58370.
- Nanostructured gradient Co-Sn electrodeposits as alternative to Sn connector contacts, E.P. Georgiou, J.G. Buijnsters, H. Wang, D. Drees, A.K. Basak, J.P. Celis, Surf. Coat. Technol. 271 (2015) 148-155.
- Role of constituents of friction materials on their sliding behavior between room temperature and 400 °C, F. Eddoumy, H. Kasem, H. Dhieb, J.G. Buijnsters, P. Dufrenoy, J.P. Celis, Y. Desplanques, Mater. Design 65 (2015) 179-186.
- Rippling on wear scar surfaces of nanocrystalline diamond films after reciprocating sliding against ceramic balls, V. Podgursky, T. Hantschel, A. Bogatov, E. Kimmari, M. Antonov, M. Viljus, V. Mikli, M. Tsigkourakos, W. Vandervorst, J.G. Buijnsters, A.T. Raadik, P. Kulu, Tribol. Lett. 55(3) (2014) 493-501.