Structuring your design-oriented PhD project
After completion of the course, students will have some basic knowledge on design methodology and they will be able to structure their own design process, justify design choices and write scientific papers on their design project. In particular the PhD candidates should be able to:
- understand domain and situation dependency of design processes.
- be able to structure their own design process.
- be able to justify design choices.
- be able to critically discuss design results.
- be able to write scientific papers on your design project.
- 1: Design methodologies: structuring design processes
Chapter 5: The structure of the design process (Roozenburg & Eekels)
- 2: Design goals, literature, requirements
Chapter 6.1 to 6.5: Analysis from Design Problem to Design Specification (Roozenburg & Eekels)
- 3: Creativity techniques
Chapter 7: Synthesis: Thinking Up a ‘Provisional’ Design (Roozenburg & Eekels)
- 4: Design evaluation and Decision Making
Chapter 9: Evaluation and Decision Making: What is the Best Design? (Roozenburg & Eekels)
- 5: Writing design papers
Materials will be provided
- Design oriented nature of PhD project
- General engineering background
Roozenburg, N.F.M. and J. Eekels (1995) "Product Design: Fundamentals and Methods", John Wiley & Sons. Relevant chapters will be provided in the course.
Materials on scientific paper writing will be provided.
Prof.Dr.Ir. Just Herder and Dr.Ir. Regine Vroom
2021 (specific dates will be announced)
PhD candidates will work together on their topic and present the result at the beginning of the next course day.
The course will be offered for a minimum of 6 participants and a maximum of 12 participants per session. Access will be on a first come first served basis.
Session assignments and final presentation.
PhD candidates wishing to participate should contact Prof.Dr.Ir. Just Herder or Dr.Ir. Regine Vroom by email at least two weeks before the start of the course, indicating their primary study, supervisor/promoter and preferred start date.