Future designers have an important role to play in devising, developing and redeveloping a built environment that is sustainable and resilient, can deal with climate change and contributes to the health of users. New technologies for analysis and design are becoming available, including big data, GIS, BIM and virtual and augmented reality. The question is how these innovations can be effectively integrated in the teaching of design.
But the challenges in the teaching of design are not only technological and spatial: they are also social and procedural. Students will need to learn about design processes, how to deal with poorly-formulated design briefs, how to deal with complex design situations, and how to deal with the history of the place. And then, how do you tailor your learning objectives to cope with this complexity and uncertainty and how should students academically evaluate the spatial strategies developed?
- PhD research by Elise van Dooren - Design Education. BK promotoren: Prof. Thijs Asselbergs en dr.ir. Machiel van Dorst. Niet-BK promotoren: Prof.dr. Jeroen van Merriënboer, Prof.dr. Els Boshuizen.
- Project Studiestress in ontwerponderwijs by Remon Rooij, Steven Steenbruggen and Frank Schnater, financed by the 4TU Centre for Engineering Education and in co-operation with the faculty of Industrial Design Engineering.
- Project Pedagogies for MSc AUBS studio teaching Roberto Cavallo, Peter Koorstra, Kristel Aalbers, Peter Teeuw, Inge Bobbink, financed by the 4TU Centre for Engineering Education and in co-operation with the faculty of Industrial Design Engineering.
- Martijn Stellingwerff – TU Delft Education Fellowship 2019-2020: VR/AR in Architecture Design Education.
- Courses Design Didactics I and II for TU design mentors, in which the teachers acquire basic (DD I) and more advanced (DD II) knowledge and skills in the field of teaching design. The courses have been developed by Elise van Dooren and Luc Willekens.
- Past performance
- Clarke, N., Kuipers, M., & Stroux, S. (2019). Embedding built heritage values in architectural design education. International Journal of Technology and Design Education.
- van Dooren, E., Dorst, M., Asselbergs, T., Merrienboer, J., & Boshuizen, E. (2019). The Tacit Design Process in Architectural Design Education. Design And Technology Education: An International Journal, 24(1), 79-100.
- van Dooren, E., van Merriënboer, J., Boshuizen, H. P. A., van Dorst, M., & Asselbergs, M. F. (2017). Architectural design education: in varietate unitas. International Journal of Technology and Design Education, 28 (2), 431–449,
- van Dooren, E., Boshuizen, E., van Merriënboer, J., Asselbergs, T., van Dorst, M. (2014). Making explicit in design education: generic elements in the design process. International Journal of Technology and Design Education, 24 (1), 53–71.
- van Gameren, D. & Mota, N. (2014-2017?). Dwelling in Addis Ababa: A Toolbox for Design Education on Affordable Housing. Funded by: Delft Global Initiative Program Development Seed Fund.
- Hein, C., & van Dooren, E. (2019). Teaching history for design at TU Delft: exploring types of student learning and perceived relevance of history for the architecture profession. International Journal of Technology and Design Education.
- Mackenzie, L., Scarth, E., Chanon, A., van Loon, F. (2019). New practices of collaboration: Exploring landscape architectural teaching, learning and practice contexts. Workshop organized at the 2019 ECLAS conference 16-17 September 2019 in Ås, Norway.
- Mota, N., & van Gameren, D. (2018). Dwelling with the Other Half: Architectural Education for the Design of Affordable Housing in the Global South. Charrette, 5(1), 33-49.
- Qu, L., Chen, Y., Rooij, R., & de Jong, P. (2019). Cultivating the next generation designers: Group work in urban and regional design education. International Journal of Technology and Design Education.
- Rooij, R., Klaassen, R., Cavallo, R., & Arts, J. A. (2019). Architecture and built environment design education: disciplinary and pedagogical developments. International Journal of Technology and Design Education, 1-12.
- Wandl, A., Balz, V., Qu, L., Furlan, C., Arciniegas Lopez, G., & Hackauf, U. (2019). The Circular Economy Concept in Design Education: Enhancing Understanding and Innovation by Means of Situated Learning. Urban Planning, 4(3), 63-75.