House of the Future
The focus of this minor is the study of spatial/formal concepts, specifically in the domain of housing design, in the light of changing cultural, societal, ecological and technological conditions, whereby an emphasis is placed on the evolvement of insights and skills on the level of design exploration, representation and communication.
The central theme is ‘the House of the Future (past and present)’. In three interrelated study trajectories, working individually as well as in groups, design based and -driven studies are carried out, making active use of the Forms Studies and Modelling facilities of the faculty. In a series of lectures and precedent-based studies, the minor will address evocative utopian projects and boundary-shifting housing prototypes of the past.
Minor code: BK-MI-123-16
Participating institutions: Faculty of Architecture and the Built Environment
Maximum participants: 60
Education methods: Design projects, workshops, lectures and portfolio
- This minor is intended for students that study Architecture at TU Delft, but is also open to students from other faculties such as Civil Engineering, Industrial Design, Aerospace and Mechanical Engineering.
- Also students from other universities and HBO institutions can apply. For them a selection procedure applies.
What will you learn?
At the end of the minor you:
- have acquired knowledge, insights and skills in the domains of architectural design, analysis and presentation
- have developed new insights and knowledge concerning the realization of deigns, specifically relating to housing concepts and innovative approaches to lifestyle, materialization and production
- have acquired an active, inquisitive attitude concerning architectonic and architectural issues of design
- have developed abilities in the targeted analysis of design precedents and the effective representation and communication of findings, using various representation techniques as well as digital and physical models
- have the ability to work individually and in a team, carrying out designerly studies, documenting results, visualizing proposals and bringing these across to a professional audience.
All courses run parallel in quarter 1 and 2.
- Project House of the Future – Design (BK7800)
- Analysis and Model Study – Design Analysis (BK8710)
- Imaging and Communication – Form Study (BK7820)
For course descriptions, please visit the study guide.