Spaces of Display; retail and exhibition design
Minor code: BK-Mi-145-17
Participating institutions: Faculty of Architecture and the Built Environment and Faculty Industrial Design Engineering
Maximum participants: 35
Education methods: Design project, excursion, lectures and workshops
This minor is intended for bachelor students (academic and HBO) that study Architecture (Bouwkunde) or Industrial Design (Industrieel Ontwerpen) from the TU Delft as well as other universities/HBO institutions.
In this minor, students design a space of display for a carefully chosen artefact and its users on a specific location in a city. The following topics are of importance for the project: its context, the qualities of the space (atmosphere, tactility, lighting), the character of the artefact and its connection to its space and users.
The minor consists of four separate courses that each focus on specific skills. Together they contribute to a coherent design project that fits in the city. In various lectures attention is paid to the position of the designer, the design of a space within the field of retail- and exhibition branch and the analysis of reference projects based on relevant themes.
What will you learn?
- You are able to develop a consistent architectonic/interior design. This covers the materialisation of the total space as well as the detailed scale of a piece of furniture
- You have the skill to establish the connection between concept, function and material elaboration of a small design
- You are able to connect aspects like location, programme, target group, functionality and temporality to the atmospheric quality of building and space
- You have knowledge of different cultural and social conditions and awareness of their implication and effects on architecture and the interior
- You are capable of visually analysing and communicating work by using several presentation techniques
- You can determine the quality of the perception of the interior by the use of artificial light
All courses run parallel in quarter 1 and 2.
- Design Project (BK7060)
- Lecture Series (BK7061)
- Toolkit (BK7062)
- Workshop (BK7063)
For course descriptions, please visit the study guide.
To register for this minor go to www.minors.tudelft.nl. You also have to send a letter of motivation to the minor coordinator Leontine de Wit by 31 May 2017 at the latest. HBO students that study Architecture or Industrial Design also have to send a portfolio (A3-format) to the coordinator by 31 May 2017 at the latest. A maximum of 35 students can participate in this minor. We strive for an even distribution of Architecture and Industrial Design students.