Jan. 2019 – Present: Associate Professor, Delft University of Technology
Dec. 2014 – Jan. 2019: Assistant Professor, Delft University of Technology
Oct. 2012 – Sept. 2017: VIDI research grand from NWO
Jan. 2008 – Dec. 2010: VENI research grand from NWO
My research interests include applications of the seismic-interferometry method on different scales – from millimetres to hundreds of kilometres – for imaging and monitoring of the subsurface of the Earth and characterization of objects. I do this with physical arrivals retrieved by seismic interferometry, but also by non-physical arrivals, which result from non-compliance with the assumptions needed for application of seismic interferometry.
- More information
Currently I am working on projects for application of seismic interferometry for
- CO2 sequestration and geothermal-energy production (SUCCEED: Synergetic Utilisation of CO2 storage Coupled with geothermal Energy Deployment);
- imaging of structures and monitoring of processes in the Groningen subsurface connected to the natural-gas extraction (DEEPNL programme from NOW)
- mining exploration (e.g., Smart Exploration; data from COGITo-MIN);
- imaging and monirotoing of volcanoes;
- archaeological exploration;
- characterization of fluid mud in ports and waterways;
- imaging and characterization of the Moon interior.
- AESB1320-17: Mechanics, BSc 1st year, 5 EC (giving the part on oscillations and waves)
- AESM1330: Forward and Inverse Geomodelling, MSc 1st year, 5 EC (giving the part on forward modelling of acoustic waves)
- AESM1511: Field Geophysics and Signal Analysis with Matlab/Python, MSc 1st year, 5 EC (responsible for the course and giving the part on Matlab)
Most recent publications:
- Casas J. A., G. A. Badi, L. Franco Marín, M. Gómez, and D. Draganov, 2020, Seismic interferometry applied to regional and teleseismic events recorded at Planchón-Peteroa Volcanic Complex, Argentina-Chile: Journal of Volcanology and Geothermal Research, published online, doi: 10.1016/j.jvolgeores.2020.106805.
- Andrés, J., D. Draganov, M. Schimmel, P. Ayarza, I. Palomeras, M. Ruiz, and R. Carbonell, 2019, Lithospheric image of the Central Iberian Zone (Iberian Massif) using Global-Phase Seismic Interferometry: Solid Earth, 10, 1937–1950, doi: 10.5194/se-10-1937-2019.
- Malehmir, A., M. Manzi, D. Draganov, U. Weckmann, and E. Auken, 2020, Introduction to the special issue on “Cost-effective and innovative mineral exploration solutions”: Geophysical Prospecting, 68, 3-6, doi: 10.1111/1365-2478.12915.
- Balestrini, F., D. Draganov, A. Malehmir, P. Marsden, and R. Ghose, 2020, Improved target illumination at Ludvika mines of Sweden through seismic-interferometric noise reduction: Geophysical Prospecting, 68, 200-213, doi: 10.1111/1365-2478.12890.
- Polychronopoulou, K., A. Lois, and D. Draganov, 2020, Body-wave passive seismic interferometry revisited: mining exploration using body waves of local microearthquakes: Geophysical Prospecting, 68, 232-253, doi: 10.1111/1365-2478.12884.
- Chamarczuk, M., Y. Nishitsuji, M. Malinowski, and D. Draganov, 2019, Unsupervised clustering used in automatic detection and classification of ambient-noise recordings from a large-N array: Seismological Research Letters, 91, 370-389, doi: 10.1785/0220190063.
- Liu, J., Q.P.J. Bourgeois, R. Ghose, and D. Draganov, 2019, Detection of near-surface heterogeneities at archaeological sites using seismic diffractions: First Break, 37, 107-111.
- Place J., D. Draganov, A. Malehmir Craig, C. Juhlin, and C. Wijns, 2019, Crosscoherence-based interferometry for the retrieval of first arrivals and subsequent tomographic imaging of differential weathering: Geophysics, 84(4), Q37-Q48, doi: 10.1190/geo2018-0405.1.