Dr. Stefano Muraro is Assistant Professor of Experimental Soil Mechanics at the section of Geo-Engineering of Delft University of Technology. He obtained his Bachelor and Master degree in Environmental & Civil Engineering at the University of Trento (Italy) and his PhD at Delft University of Technology. His research interests include laboratory soil testing, constitutive and numerical modelling, slopes stability, earth retaining structures and soil-structure interaction.
Dr. Muraro’s research focuses on the comprehension of the physical processes ruling the multiphase behaviour of soils and on the proposal of innovative measures to mitigate complex challenges of soils in deltaic areas. A versatile research methodology is adopted combining laboratory testing and theoretical and numerical modelling, which serve geotechnical applications.
He is the Dutch representative in the Technical Committee C214 on "Foundation Engineering for Difficult Soft Soil Conditions” of the International Society for Soil Mechanics and Geotechnical Engineering (ISSMGE).
1. Muraro, S. and Jommi, C. (2021). Experimental determination of shear strength of peat from standard undrained triaxial tests: correcting for the effects of end restraint. Géotechnique, 71(1): 76-87, doi.org/10.1680/jgeot.18.P.346.
2. Muraro, S. and Jommi, C. (2021). Pre-failure behaviour of reconstituted peats in triaxial compression. Acta Geotech. 16, 789–805. doi.org/10.1007/s11440-020-01019-2.
3. Zhao, H., Muraro, S. and Jommi, C. (2020). Gas exsolution and gas invasion in peat: towards a comprehensive modelling framework. Géotechnique Letters, 10(3): 461-467, doi.org/10.1680/jgele.20.00014.
4. Jommi, C., Muraro, S., Trivellato, E. and Zwanenburg, C. (2019). “Experimental results on the influence of gas on the mechanical response of peats”. Géotechnique, 69(9): 753-766, doi.org/10.1680/jgeot.17.P.148.
5. Muraro, S. and Jommi, C. (2019). “Implication of end restraint in triaxial tests on the derivation of the stress-dilatancy rule for soils having high compressibility”. Canadian Geotechnical Journal, 56(6): 840-851, doi.org/10.1139/cgj-2018-0343.
6. Muraro, S., Mašín, D. and Jommi, C. (2018). Applicability of hypoplasticity to reconstituted peat from drained triaxial tests. International Journal for Numerical and Analytical Methods in Geomechanics 42(17): 2049-2064, doi.org/10.1002/nag.2840.
7. Muraro, S., Madaschi, A. and Gajo, A. (2015). “Passive soil pressure on sloping ground and design of retaining structures for slope stabilisation”. Géotechnique 65(6): 507-516, doi.org/10.1680/geot.14.P.211.
8. Muraro, S., Madaschi, A. and Gajo, A. (2014). “On the reliability of 3D numerical analyses of passive piles used for slope stabilisation in frictional soils”. Géotechnique 64(6): 486-492, doi.org/10.1680/geot.13.T.016.
Mechanics and Transport by Flow through Porous Media (CTB3390/AESB3340)
Dr. Muraro received the Ioannis Vardoulakis PhD Prize 2020 awarded by the Alliance of Laboratories in Europe for Education, Research and Technology (Alert Geomaterials).