Maartje Boon holds an MSc in Hydrogeology from Utrecht University and obtained her PhD in Petroleum Engineering from Imperial College London where she worked on reactive transport with applications for geological carbon sequestration. She did a Postdoc at the Stanford ERE department focussing on the impact of rock-structure heterogeneity on multi-phase flow properties and its implications for geological carbon sequestration. For her work she combines numerical and analytical modelling tools with experimental observations.
Subsurface storage has the potential to play a key role in the transition towards renewable energy sources and has been the focus of Maartje Boon’s work. She currently works on underground energy storage in the form of hydrogen in the group of Prof. Hadi Hajibeygi where she leads the hydrogen lab. She combines experimental, numerical and computational modelling tools to get a better understanding of flow and (reactive) transport processes in heterogeneous reservoirs.
Instructor for AESM1325 Physics for Geosystems lecture on Upscaling
- Boon, M., Matthäi, S.K., Shao, Q., Youssef A.A., Mishra, A., & Benson, S.M. (2022) Anisotropic rate-dependent saturation functions for compositional simulation of sandstone composites. Journal of Petroleum Science and Engineering, Volume 209, 109934, ISSN 0920-4105, https://doi.org/10.1016/j.petrol.2021.109934
- Boon, M., & Benson S.M. (2021). A physics-based model to predict the impact of horizontal lamination on CO2 plume migration, Advances in Water Resources, Volume 150, 103881, ISSN 0309-1708, https://doi.org/10.1016/j.advwatres.2021.103881
- Ni, H., Boon, M., Garing, C., & Benson, S. M. (2019). Predicting CO2 residual trapping ability based on experimental petrophysical properties for different sandstone types. International Journal of Greenhouse Gas Control, Volume 86, Pages 158-176, ISSN 1750-5836, https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ijggc.2019.04.024
- Boon, M., B. Bijeljic, & Krevor, S. (2017). Observations of the impact of rock heterogeneity on solute spreading and mixing, Water Resources Research, Volume 53, Pages 4624–4642, https://doi.org/10.1002/2016WR019912
- Boon, M., B. Bijeljic, B. Niu, & Krevor, S. (2016). Observations of 3-D transverse dispersion and dilution in natural consolidated rock by X-ray tomography, Advances in Water Resources, Volume 96, Pages 266-281. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.advwatres.2016.07.020
Dr. Maartje Boon
Faculty of Civil Engineering and Geosciences
Stevinweg 1 / PO-box 5048
2628 CN Delft / 2600 GA Delft
Room number: 3.33