Ir. T.H.J. (Tim) Hermans
I started my PhD at NIOZ and Delft University of Technology in 2018. I am using global and regional climate models to study sea-level change and variability. Before my PhD studies I received a BSc degree in Mechanical Engineering at University of Twente and a MSc degree in Aerospace Engineering at Delft University of Technoloy. I am supervised by Aimée Slangen, Caroline Katsman and Bert Vermeersen.
My research concerns global and regional sea-level change and variability in the past and in the future. I have studied how the climate sensitivity of global climate models affects projections of global mean sea level, how ocean model resolution affects regional sea-level projections and what drives the interannual sea-level variability on the Northwestern European Shelf. I am currently studying simulations of sea-level change in the latest generation of coupled climate models (CMIP6).
- Teaching Assistant for CIE4601 Physics of the Earth & Atmosphere
- Hermans, T. H. J., Tinker, J., Palmer, M. D., Katsman, C. A., Vermeersen, B. L. A., and Slangen, A. B. A. (2020). Improving sea-level projections on the Northwestern European shelf using dynamical downscaling. Clim. Dyn. 54, 1987–2011. doi:10.1007/s00382-019-05104-5.
- Tinker, J., Palmer, M. D., Copsey, D., Howard, T., Lowe, J. A., and Hermans, T. H. J. (2020). Dynamical downscaling of unforced interannual sea‑level variability in the North‑West European shelf seas. Clim. Dyn. 55, 2207–2236. doi:10.1007/s00382-020-05378-0.
- Hermans, T. H. J., Le Bars, D., Katsman, C. A., Camargo, C. M. L., Gerkema, T., Calafat, F. M., et al. (2020). Drivers of interannual sea level variability on the northwestern European shelf. Journal of Geophysical Research: Oceans, 125, e2020JC016325.
- Camargo, C. M. L., Riva, R. E. M., Hermans, T. H. J., & Slangen, A. B. A. (2020). Exploring sources of uncertainty in steric sea‐level change estimates. Journal of Geophysical Research: Oceans, 125, e2020JC016551.
- Hermans, T. H. J., Gregory, J. M., Palmer, M. D., Ringer, M. A., Katsman, C. A., & Slangen, A. B. A. (2021). Projecting Global Mean Sea‐Level Change Using CMIP6 Models. Geophysical Research Letters, 48.
- Chapter Scientist for the IPCC AR6 chapter on Ocean, Cryosphere and Sea-Level Change.