Bas Jonkman holds Msc and PhD degrees in civil engineering from Delft University. In the past he has worked for Rijkswaterstaat, Royal Haskoning and UC Berkeley. He has investigated the levee failures in New Orleans and other countries and has been involved in engineering and flood risk reduction studies in several areas around the world. He is an advisor for Rijkswaterstaat, a member of the Dutch Expertise Network on Flood Protection (ENW) and is the chairman of the hydraulic engineering department of the Dutch association of engineers (KIVI) and a board member of the 4TU center for resilience engineering.
His research interests include flood risk management, and the design of hydraulic infrastructure, such as flood defences and storm surge barriers. Dr. Jonkman is currently leading a number of national and European research projects focusing on climate adaptation and strategies for flood risk reduction, including storm surge barriers and nature based flood defences.
- CIE5314 – Flood Defences
- CIE4130 – Probabilistic Design
Jonkman also guides a large number of MSc students for their Msc thesis (CIE5060).
- Mooyaart L.F., Jonkman S.N. (2017) Overview and design considerations of storm surge. ASCE Journal of Waterway, Port, Coastal, and Ocean Engineering Vol. 143 Issue 4
- Jonkman S.N. (2013) Advanced flood risk analysis required. Nature Climate Change Vol. 3, Dec. 2013 1004
- Jonkman S.N., Hillen M.M., Nicholls R.J., Kanning, W., van Ledden M. (2013) Costs of adapting coastal defences to sea-level rise – new estimates and their implications. Journal of Coastal Research, 29 (5) 1212-1226
- Jonkman S.N., Jongejan R.B., Maaskant B. (2011) The Use of Individual and Societal Risk Criteria within the Dutch Flood Safety Policy—Nationwide Estimates of Societal Risk and Policy Applications, Risk Analysis, Vol. 31 No. 2, pp. 282-300
- Jonkman S.N., Maaskant B., Boyd E., Levitan M.L. (2009) Loss of life caused by the flooding of New Orleans after hurricane Katrina: Analysis of the relationship between flood characteristics and mortality. Risk Analysis Vol. 29, No. 5, pp. 676-698
- Jonkman S.N., Vrijling J.K., Vrouwenvelder A.C.W.M. (2008) Methods for the estimation of loss of life due to floods: A literature review and a proposal for a new method, Natural Hazards, Vol.46/3, pp. 353-389
- Jonkman S.N., van Gelder P.H.A.J.M., Vrijling J.K. (2003) An overview of quantitative risk measures for loss of life and economic damage, Journal of Hazardous Materials A99 pp. 1–30