Dr. N. (Nikola) Bešinović
Nikola Bešinović is a Lecturer and Researcher at Department of Transport and Planning. He received his PhD in Transportation at Deft University of Technology on the topic of designing advanced mathematical models and approaches for railway timetabling. Prior that, he received MSc and BSc at University of Belgrade, Serbia.
Nikola is a member of Institute for Operations Research and the Management Sciences (INFORMS), International Association of Railway Operations Research (IAROR) and the Netherlands Research School on Transport, Infrastructure and Logistics (TRAIL).
Nikola’s research develops analytics and optimization methodologies to promote efficient, reliable, and sustainable transport systems. His main focus is on railway traffic management systems, where he proposes data-driven decision-making approaches to enhance railway operations, train scheduling and driver behaviour. He is also interested in new resilient transport concepts, determining critical infrastructure and operations, and impacts of increased transport demand on further technological development of railway systems.
Nikola received several scientific awards, including the Young Railway Operations Researcher Award from IAROR, the First Prize at the TRAVISIONS Young Researcher Competition, the Best Student Paper from INFORMS Railway Application Section, and the 3RD Best IEEE ITS Dissertation Award.
- Assessing and enhancing resilience of railway transport systems
- Integrated passenger and train disruption management for metro systems
- Optimizing railway operations for maintenance possessions
- Artificial Intelligence in railway transport
- Railway timetabling under growing passenger demand
- Railway Traffic Management (MSc)
- Fundamentals of Railway Transport (BSc)
- Fundamentals of Public Transport (BSc)
- Advanced Methods for Railway Timetabling and Capacity Assessment, at Beijing Jiaotong University, China (2016)
- Bešinović, N. (2020) Resilience in railway transport systems: a literature review and research agenda. Transport Reviews. https://doi.org/10.1080/01441647.2020.1728419
- Bešinović, N., Quaglietta, E., & Goverde, R. M. P. (2019). Resolving instability in railway timetabling problems. EURO Journal on Transportation and Logistics, 8, 833–861.
- Yan, F., Bešinović, N. & Goverde, R.M.P., (2019) Multi-objective periodic railway timetabling on dense heterogeneous railway corridors. Transportation Research Part B: Methodological, 125, 52-75.
- Van Aken, S., Bešinović, N., Goverde, R.M.P., (2017) Designing alternative railway timetables under infrastructure maintenance possessions, Transportation Research Part B: Methodological, 98, 224-238.
- Bešinović, N., Goverde, R.M.P., Quaglietta, E., & Roberti, R. (2016). An integrated micro–macro approach to robust railway timetabling. Transportation Research Part B: Methodological, 87, 14-32.
- Goverde, R.M.P., Bešinović, N., Binder, A., Cacchiani, V., Quaglietta, E., Roberti, R., & Toth, P. (2016). A three-level framework for performance-based railway timetabling. Transportation Research Part C: Emerging Technologies, 67, 62-83.
- Bešinović, N., Quaglietta E., Goverde R.M.P., (2013) A simulation-based optimization approach for the calibration of dynamic train speed profiles. Journal of Rail Transport Planning & Management, 3(4), 126-136.
- Bešinović N., (2017). Integrated models for capacity assessment and timetabling in dense railway networks, PhD thesis, Delft University of Technology, The Netherlands.
- Bešinović N., Goverde R.M.P. (2018). Capacity Assessment in Railway Networks. In: Borndörfer R., Klug T., Lamorgese L., Mannino C., Reuther M., Schlechte T. (eds) Handbook of Optimization in the Railway Industry. International Series in Operations Research & Management Science, vol 268. Springer, Cham
- Optimizing railway timetables for maintenance possessions
- Integrated models for capacity assessment and timetabling in dense railway networks
- Bešinović, N., (2016). Railway science: Toward reliable railway timetabling. ExtraCT, 18(4), January 2016.
Lecturer & Researcher
Faculty of Civil Engineering and Geosciences
Monday to Friday