Required Documents

Nomination letter

A nomination letter from your exchange coordinator / project supervisor at your home university stating their name and indicating they approve your application to the TU Delft.

Language Certificate

TU Delft carefully monitors the English language proficiency of incoming exchange students. If a student does not fulfil the TU Delft language requirements, our partner university will receive a warning and, in the case of repetition students from this university will be required to submit an official language test result (TOEFL, IELTS of Cambridge Certificate).

In order to be considered for an exchange-programme, you have to prove your English is at a sufficient level.

TU Delft Language skills policy for Erasmus+ partner universities

Our language skills policy is based on the Erasmus+ guiding principle of the EC that the sending institution (as per the E+ bilateral agreement with the receiving institution) will provide the necessary language support such that all nominated candidates will demonstrate the recommended level of language proficiency for their programme or teaching period before commencing their exchange. We trust our partner universities to nominate students with language level C1 or higher in English. Students do not need to provide test results; a statement from their home university signed by the Erasmus+ coordinator or a representative of the Language Institute is sufficient.

TU Delft language requirements for non-Erasmus+ partner universities

Proficiency in English has to be demonstrated in the exchange application:

  • An original TOEFL test with an overall band score of at least 90. For the intake of February 2021, TU Delft will also accept the TOEFL iBT Special Home edition with an overall band score of 90. Please note that TU Delft only accepts the TOEFL internet-based test and does not accept TOEFL Mybest scores.
  • or an IELTS (academic version) with an overall Band score of at least 6.5;
  • or proof that you have passed the University of Cambridge 'Certificate of Proficiency in English (CPE)' or the University of Cambridge 'Certificate in Advanced English (CAE)'

Certificates older than two years are not accepted.

Required scores should be obtained in one single test.


For People’s Republic of China nationals

For visa purposes you need a  Nuffic certificate as proof of your English language proficiency. In order to obtain the Nuffic certificate you will need to take the IELTS or TOEFL internet-based test.


The following students are exempted from taking the English language test:

  • Nationals from the USA, U.K., Ireland, Australia, New Zealand, Canada, Switzerland and Singapore
  • BSc and MSc graduates who obtained their qualification in one of the above countries;
  • Students currently enrolled in a BSc/MSc programme in one of the above countries where the degree is fully taught in English and the home university can provide a statement confirming this.


A clear and relevant motivation letter in English

400 -500 words personal statement 

Please address the following points:

  • Why did you choose TU Delft and your course selection
  • What prior skills/knowledge have you gained that will help you  succeed in the courses 
  • If you would like to conduct a research project please include a research proposal and any relevant experience to support your choice
  • Why would you like to take part in an exchange program
  • Your future academic/career  plans

Transcript of records

Authorised list of transcripts. If not available in English, a translation must be enclosed, along with a description of the institution’s credit system.

Proof of Identity

Photocopy of the page(s) of your passport (or ID for EU students) that give your name, date of birth, place of birth and the document’s expiration date.

Driving license’s are not accepted as proof of identity 

Documents must be valid at least 6 month after arrival in the Netherlands.

If applicable

Nuffic-certificateFor nationals of the People’s Republic of China
Portfolio For Integrated Product Design and Design For Interaction only
Learning AgreementFor Erasmus+ students only (You need this agreement to apply for an Erasmus+ scholarship). Students coming to TU Delft with Erasmus+ can send their Learning Agreement to the faculty exchange coordinators via email. Only students who have received an admission letter for TU Delft can send their Erasmus+ Learning Agreement, with the same subjects from the online application, to the faculty exchange coordinators via email.

Students applying at the Faculty of Architecture and the Built Environment will be notified in which course package they will be enrolled. Students then send the Learning Agreement to the faculty exchange coordinators to be signed.

Residence permitCopy of residence permit (if you live in the Netherlands). Front and back side of the card.